Athena's First Birthday

"Hey... good morning, Princess. Happy birthday!" Dei whispered as Athena slowly opened her eyes that morning.

The little one smiled as soon as she saw her and extended her arms, waiting to be carried.

"Oh, she's awake. The birthday girl is finally up!" RJ greeted her as he stepped out of the bathroom. Athena squirmed in Dei's arms as soon as she saw him and bounced excitedly as he held out his arms for her.

"Dada!" she squeaked happily.

"Such a daddy's girl," Dei said as she handed her to RJ and gave her a quick kiss on her chubby cheeks. "Can you feed her breakfast, babe, while I take a bath?"

"Sure! Is mom and dad already outside?" he asked, talking about her parents.

They were staying in Dei's old bedroom at her parents' house which they had preferred over a room in a hotel. They could have someone to help them take care of Athena, plus it spared them from the ridiculous expenses they'd have to pay, and the hassles they'd have to encounter especially with a one year old, overly energetic baby in tow.

"Yep, they knocked while you were in the shower telling us that breakfast is ready. I think mom already prepared Athena something to eat."

"Okay. I'll feed her then I'll wait for you so we can eat together."

Athena was already done eating when Dei finished her bath, and she was playing with Khalil in the living area.

"Hey, Khal. You're early sweetheart," Dei said, kissing his cheek. "You guys are early," she told Ken and Beth who were sitting on the couch watching the two babies.

"Yep, Beth wanted to help out with the last minute preparations, but apparently everything is already set," Ken said.

"Oh, yea. Coleen took care of everything. Didn't even let me fold a napkin," Dei said laughing. "Thank you for coming early though, you can help us sort the guests later."

"Sure! And Khalil kept looking for Athena by the way," Beth said, smiling.

"Awww... won't you be sad when Athena flies back to New York, Khal?"

Khalil didn't respond. He was busy showing Athena his toy.

"Well, he might not miss her for long. I might accept the relocation being offered to me by TrendBuzz," Ken said. "If I do decide on accepting that promotion, we'll be relocating next year."

"Oh, wow, really, Ken? That's amazing!" Dei exclaimed.

"What is?" RJ asked. He just came from the kitchen, holding a tray with pancakes and coffee for him and Dei and laid it on the coffee table.

"Did you know Ken has been offered a promotion and a relocation in New York?" she asked him.

"Oh yea, we were talking about it earlier. Told him it'll be an amazing opportunity but they have to really think about it because life isn't as easy in New York as they think," RJ answered, spreading butter on their pancakes. "Maple or chocolate, babe?"

"Chocolate. No whipped cream?" Dei asked.

"Nope. All gone."