Athena's Christening

The eve of December 25 this year became a festive night at the Faulkerson household. A night that was usually just an ordinary evening became extra special with the presence of Dei's family.

The Mendozas arrived in the late afternoon and spent the early evening preparing dinner. Anne and Coleen helped Rose cook different types of Filipino dishes, and Ricky had been more than happy to try each of them.

As expected, Athena became the star of the evening. She kept her grandparents, aunts and uncles entertained with her usual antics, and they all spent the rest of the evening playing with her until she fell asleep at five minutes before midnight.

"She slept so late, I hope she doesn't wake up grumpy tomorrow. It's her big day," Dei said as she laid next to RJ on the bed, feeling exhausted and very sleepy.

"You really can't blame her, nor our parents. She slept for 5 hours this afternoon," RJ said. He placed his laptop on the bedside table, setting aside his take home work, and laid on his side to spoon her. "Promise me you won't get too stressed out tomorrow," he whispered to Dei.

"I'll try. But this is Athena's first party. I kept going over the checklist making sure everything's been properly taken care of," she said. "Lily's arriving tomorrow. So is Stef and Lance. James unfortunately can't make it. His visa application got denied, but he promised to attend Athena's first birthday if we're going to celebrate it in the Philippines."

"Okay. Just let him know he owes Athena a gift for her Christening too," he replied, smiling. "I think everything will be perfect, babe. Just like our wedding. You made most of the plans for that too, and it turned out greater than you expected."

"Hmmm... you're right," she agreed.

RJ glanced at the clock and saw that it was already 10 minutes past midnight. "Merry Christmas, babe," he whispered to her.

Dei turned her whole body around to face him and hugged him tight. "Merry Christmas to you too," she replied, kissing him lightly on the lips.

"Are you happy?" he asked.

"Yes, especially now coz my family is here and we have Athena too. I don't think I could ask for more," she murmured, planting small kisses along his jaw as she spoke.

"I could ask for a few more," he said

"And what would those be?"

"A little RJ is one... a baby boy," he whispered, smiling.

"Hmmm... we'll get to that, probably in three years. For now let's let Athena enjoy being the baby. So far she's loving all the attention so let's let her indulge in it. One step at a time, babe, especially since you're not the one going through the harder stuff of child bearing," she told him, shoving him playfully on the chest as he started laughing heartily.

"Of course," he said, grinning as he kissed her nose. "I'm just saying, but I'm in no hurry. At least it's clearer now since we're able to talk about it... unlike last year," he teased, and Dei rolled her eyes at him. She turned around again, moving closer so she could rest her back against his chest. She closed her eyes, reveling in the feeling of his body's warmth as he draped his arm on her waist.

"Dei?"

"Hmmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, RJ," she whispered.

"Dei..." he called again after a few moments.