Setting Expectations

"Ugh, these waffles are the best, babe," Dei said as she took the last bite of it and closing her eyes as she chewed on it.

They were having a late breakfast at The View, just before their visit to the spa, and she had already downed three servings of the Belgian waffles that were served with cream cheese, whipped cream and sliced fresh fruits.

"I told you," RJ smiled. He paused for a second and pulled Dei's phone from his pocket. "Hey, mom just texted on your phone. She said our princess just woke up and she sent us a picture," he said, holding out her phone for her to see.

Mommy Rose | 10:47 AM
The princess just woke up and wants to greet mommy and daddy a good morning!

Mommy Rose | 10:47 AMThe princess just woke up and wants to greet mommy and daddy a good morning!

"Awww... now I'm starting to miss her again," Dei said. "She looks happy."

"I told you she'll be fine. You'll see her again in a few hours," he said when Dei sighed longingly.

"Are we going straight to the spa after this?" she asked.

"Yea, so we can still have time to stroll around before we leave," RJ said, wiping his lips with a table napkin. "They have a gift shop here you might want to visit."

"I'll just run to the ladies room real quick then," she said.

"Okay. Wanna just meet me at the reception area so I can get our locker keys while waiting for you? I'll drop by the suite to get our clothes too."

"Yea sure, see you there," she said and kissed his cheek.

She walked her way to the ladies room that was just around the corner from where they were sitting. She was just about to round that corner, and was walking quickly as she did, when she almost bumped into JC yet again. She stepped back on reflex.

"Hey," he said cheerfully. "You're Dei, right?We should really stop meeting like this," he added with a huge smile.

"Please, we'll meet on Monday in the office," she said, quickly glancing at RJ who was still at the table talking to the waiter as he paid their check. "I have to go," she muttered and walked away at once.

JC followed her with his gaze looking completely confused. He then looked at RJ and shook his head, smiling in amusement.

+++++

RJ exhaled sharply and placed his arm around Dei's waist as they roamed the medium sized gift shop inside the resort. He didn't know if he was just being overly possessive, as Dei always said, but the tall guy who had just stepped in with another couple five minutes ago was making him uncomfortable.

He was so sure that he had caught him discreetly glancing at Dei three times, and Dei, who was busy looking at the displays, was completely oblivious. It wasn't the first time that something like this had happened. Dei had always been an absolute head turner, even though she's mostly unaware of it. Almost everywhere they went there would be one guy or more who would keep glancing at her, even in his presence. It happened almost every time, but he still couldn't get used to it, and it didn't help that the guy looking at her now was undeniably good looking, even in his book.

He cleared his throat and pulled her closer, "Have you found anything you want to buy yet?" he asked as they walked beside the counter.

"I'm still looking for something to buy for Athena. What do you think of this?" she asked pulling a bunny stuffed toy from the rack and showing it to him. The bunny was white and was was holding the resort logo with both paws. "This will match her bunny onesie," she added, giggling.

"That looks cute," he said, smiling.

"Okay, I'll get three of each sizes."

"Hi, can you help my friends find the perfect souvenirs for their wedding," RJ's new favorite guy told the saleslady as he stood beside them at the counter.

"Let us finish paying for this first," RJ said, addressing the saleslady as he shoved the stuffed toys towards her.

"Sorry," the guy told him with a small smile and gave Dei a lingering gaze that made RJ's blood boil.

He felt her hand on his back and he took a deep breath.

"Let's go home after this, babe? I really miss Athena," she said, moving herself in front of him and wrapping her arms around his waist.

He smiled despite himself, thankful that Dei was doing what she could to reassure him, whether consciously or without her really meaning to. Her touch and her clinginess was already enough to melt his growing aggravation.

"Sure, I miss her too," he said, kissing her forehead.

He paid for their purchases and then they left the shop without a backward glance.

+++++

Dei sat at the conference room with a couple other people from the marketing department, waiting for Shannon's arrival along with the rest of the team. She didn't know why but she was kinda dreading this meeting with JC, especially after the incidents over the weekend. She hated that they were already off to an awkward start when all she wanted to do was get her job done properly without creating problems with RJ. She sighed as she went over her notes.

A few minutes later, the door opened and Shannon walked in with JC, both of them poring over a file that they were seriously discussing. Finally, Shannon sat at the head of the table and JC took the only seat that was left available - the one beside Dei.

He gave her a simple nod as he sat and then focused all his attention to Shannon and to whoever else was talking during the meeting, until they were finally introduced to each other.

"Hi," he said, giving her a quick handshake. "I look forward to working with you," he said with a small smile.

She cleared her throat. "Me too," she replied courteously.

That was all the exchange they had for the rest of the meeting and although a bit weirded out, Dei was able to breathe out a sigh of relief. At least JC was staying in his lane. Maybe I was just being too assuming, she thought, suddenly embarrassed.

She stood up when the meeting ended and walked through the door towards the elevator.

"Dei Faulkerson..."

She quickly turned when she heard JC's voice right behind her. "JC," she said, nodding at him.

"Since we're at the office now I hope we could start talking without you walking away from me each time," he said evenly. "I was told that you're very professional and I am too, so I'm hoping we could work together well without the unnecessary awkwardness. We, after all, will be working very closely for a few weeks."

Dei felt her cheeks burning from embarrassment, but she took a deep breath and projected a calm composure. "I am hoping that too, and my co-workers are right. I am very professional and I am glad that you are too."

He gave her a half smile that showed the dimple on his right cheek. "I'm really excited to work professionally with you, Ms. Faulkerson," he said as the elevator opened and they both stepped in.

"It's Mrs. Dei Faulkerson," she clarified.

He smiled at her words, biting his lip as he did. "Noted," he said before getting off his assigned floor.