Ask Matt

RJ sighed and carefully knocked on Matt's office before opening the door a few inches.

"Matt, are you busy?" he asked and Matt looked up at him.

He appeared like he was about to bite on the egg pie he was holding, but his hand paused midway. "Not really, what's up" he asked, placing the pie back down on its box. "Do you want some?" he asked, pushing the box, where three more slices laid, towards RJ.

"No, thanks," RJ muttered. "I just really need to talk to you. I meant to talk to Tim but he's been on leave for three days now and I doubt he'd be the best person to talk to about this..."

"Sure," Matt said, bringing all his attention to him. "I'm all ears. What's up?"

He noticed that RJ looked tired and gloomy and he wondered if his new responsibilities were starting to take their toll on him.

RJ heaved a deep sigh. "Well first of all, don't we have any openings for management positions yet?"

"No, not at this time. Why?" Matt asked, his eyebrows furrowed in curiosity.

"I really want Dei to transfer back here, but she doesn't want to unless she'll be transferring to a position that is the same level as what she has in Hearst," RJ said, slouching on the chair. "At least that's what she said. God, I hope that's really just it."

"Well, I could understand Dei's point, but... what's going on? Why do I feel like something's wrong?"

"Dei has a new officemate that she's closely working with for a project right now - a photographer, and I can't bring myself to trust him no matter how much Dei is trying to convince me to," RJ said, shaking his head.

"Tell me more, Faulkerson, I'm all ears," Matt urged.

"I have a strong feeling that this guy has a thing for my wife and I think his charm is working on her because she keeps on defending him this past week, insisting that he's okay and that I've got nothing to worry about. She's clueless."

"Well what if that's simply the truth? That he's okay and you've really got nothing to worry about? You can be really unreasonably jealous sometimes, RJ. Can you remember how you got jealous with her friend James?"

RJ shook his head. "This is different. I have this gut feel, Matt, and it's really bugging the shit out of me. I first saw him at the resort Dei and I spent a weekend in. I don't know if they already knew each other then but I was surprised when, by some twist of fate, he turned out to be Dei's new... project partner, so to speak. Anyway, while at the resort, I saw him checking Dei out, several times, while she was with me!" he relayed, already getting a bit worked up as he recalled the incident.

"You want some tea?" Matt asked as RJ's forehead landed on his palm. He looked really aggravated.

RJ shook his head. "And then two Fridays ago, I joined their afternoon hangout because Dei insisted. She said she wanted me to know the guy more so I'd realize he isn't actually a threat... but I got more bothered after that night, you know?"

"Why?"

"We talked for a bit, and I found out that they've been chatting at work, although he said Dei mostly talked about me, and Athena. And you know what, the fact that he even knew Athena's name really pissed me off," he said, and he paused to exhale sharply. "I confronted him and asked if he likes Dei and he flat out answered that he doesn't."