Doubled

Dei glanced at RJ and saw his grim expression. She was torn. She knew that the doctor had to be really good, and no doubt a professional, or Dr. Hessel would not have chosen him to handle her most valued patients.

Dei knew she needed this check up, but at the same time, she wasn't sure she was comfortable about being checked by a male doctor, and if she was uncomfortable, she was certain that RJ was no doubt feeling much worse.

"Please sit down, Dei, and let's check your vitals," Dr. Michaels said.

Dei glanced at RJ again. He squeezed her hand and gave her a slight nod so she sat on the chair while he stood close behind her, his hands placed firmly on the back of the chair, assuring her that he'd be right there.

"Have you been feeling anything unusual during the past week, anything that you think may be a cause for concern?" Dr. Michaels asked as he checked her BP.

"Aside from the morning sickness that gets really worse sometimes, no. I think everything else are just normal pregnancy symptoms," Dei answered.

The doctor nodded. "How bad does the morning sickness usually get?" he asked as he started listening to her heartbeat and her back through a stethoscope. He was all business, but RJ couldn't help tensing every time the doctor's hand so much as grazed any part of her body.

If he says he's doing a pelvic exam, we're out of here, he thought darkly, his mind already going through other possible options for Dei's prenatal check ups.

Dr. Hessel was recommended by his mom and his cousin Terry, but since she's unavailable, he would have to ask around for a substitute who was not Dr. Michaels. Professional or not, he didn't want any other man touching Dei... there.

"Sometimes it's so bad that I couldn't leave the bed. I vomit until I'm just heaving, with nothing else to throw up, and sometimes I have no appetite for food at all."

Dr. Michaels nodded again and sat back on his chair. "We have to monitor that Dei because severe morning sickness could be a cause for concern too. If you experience any of the following, you have to call and let me know: if the nausea persists throughout the day, making it impossible for you to eat or drink, when vomiting occurs three to four times a day and you're unable to keep anything in your stomach, and if you're starting to see blood streaks on your vomit or if it has turned brownish in color."

Dei nodded, feeling nervous all of a sudden.

Dr. Michaels flipped through Dei's patient record. "Dr. Hessel said you had a problem about your first baby's heart developing rather late during your pregnancy, is that right?"

"Yes. We didn't detect her heartbeat until her 10th week, I think," Dei answered.

"Yea... the baby's heart usually starts to beat at around 6 weeks and then you'd start hearing it through a doppler around it's eighth week, which apparently is where you're at now," the doctor said, glancing at her record. "Do you wanna see if we can hear anything now?"

Dei nodded and sighed nervously, the memory of how it had been with Athena flashing on her mind. She looked at RJ and he smiled at her reassuringly.

"Get on the bed please and I will glide the heart doppler through your tummy. Let's see if we can hear anything."

RJ took a deep breath but helped Dei to the bed.

"We're gonna lift your shirt a bit okay?" Dr. Michael's told her and he glanced at RJ too, asking for permission.

Both of them nodded and RJ stepped closer to the bed and held her hand.