Booboo

It was the Saturday before their flight to the Philippines and RJ suddenly woke up from sleep. He opened his eyes slowly and stared at the ceiling for a few seconds, wondering what it was that woke him up. He figured it was a dream, you know the kind where one finds himself falling off from somewhere high and then gets suddenly jerked off from sleep.

He heaved a deep sigh and glanced down when he felt Dei stirring. She was nestled in his chest, her arm draped around his middle, and the blanket pulled up to her chest so that only her bare shoulders were showing. She didn't wake up after that single movement though, and just went back to sleep.

RJ carefully stretched his arm out to grab his phone, careful not to wake her up, and looked at the time. It was 7:16 AM, so that meant he had slept for at least four hours.

Him and Dei were up until past midnight last night, getting busy. She was supposed to give him a massage to ease the sore muscles on his back, and she did. But one thing led to another and the next thing they knew, Dei was on her back and they were doing things that he was so sure were gonna leave them both with sore bodies today, especially since they had been at it for hours with only a few minute intervals.

He grinned to himself. Finally getting free from his office work loads surely gave him a new boost of energy.

"Mommy?" said a small voice behind their door and the knob jiggled.

Oops. The little one had woken up early too.

"Babe," he whispered while he grabbed his shirt from the floor.

"Hmmmm?" Dei hummed sleepily.

"Athena's awake and she's trying to come in. Dress up," he said urgently.

"Mommy!" said Athena's voice again, more persistent this time. "Mommy, Teena haf booboo!"

"What?" Dei said, sitting up at once. "Where's my night slip babe?" she asked, glancing around sleepily.

"Here," he said, handing her her lilac nightdress.

Dei quickly pulled it on, grabbed her bottoms from the foot of the bed, and pulled it up her legs too. Then she went to open the door.

"What is it, princess?" She asked, sitting down in front of her. Athena's eyes were brimming with tears.

"Teena haf booboo is ouchie," she said, sniffing, as she showed Dei her forefinger.

Dei grabbed it and looked at it closely. There was a small puncture in the middle and she could see something lodged on her skin. The area around it was also starting to swell.

"What is it?" RJ asked, walking over to them.

"Looks like a splinter. Can you check her bed babe, there might be some exposed wood on it or something. You need to take care of that right away if there is, might cause her more injury."

"Okay. Lemme see that, princess," RJ said, bending over to take a look.

"Heew. But Teena didn't cwy," she said, wiping her eyes hastily so the tears won't show.

"Yes, good job, princess. At least you didn't cry out loud," RJ said with a smile. He placed her finger on his lips and gave it a little kiss. "Let mommy fix that up while I check your bed."

"Come here, princess," Dei said as she lifted her in her arms, then she took her to the bathroom and let her sit on the countertop by the sink. "Does it hurt?"

"Yes," Athena nodded.

"Let's clean it up first."

Dei held her small hands underneath the faucet and washed it gently with mild soap. After wiping it dry, Dei examined the splinter again and saw that the end wasn't visible.