Enamored

"Guys, they're here!" RJ announced as he walked into the apartment, with Dei and her family in tow. Rose was in the kitchen getting the dinner prepared while Rick and Rizza sat beside Athena's cradle on the couch.

There was a cry of delight as the in-laws greeted each other and Athena jerked, startled by the sudden noise. She stopped sucking her toy and watched as all the adults exchanged hugs and kisses.

"Addaah!" she blurted, announcing her presence, not used to being ignored and not getting all the attention. The new arrivals all turned in her direction and she stared at them curiously with her bright eyes.

"Oh my goodness, it's our little princess," Anne exclaimed, walking towards Athena with a charmed look on her face. Ted followed right behind her, gazing at Athena with complete awe. "Hi, baby! How are you? How's our little lovely princess?" Anne cooed, clapping her hands and pouting her lips as she spoke. Athena smiled, amused. "O goodness, she's too precious."

"She thinks you're silly hon," Ted remarked, his lips twitching as he tried to suppress a smile

"Oh, shut up, Ted. She just loves grandma. Don't you baby, don't you?" Anne said as she gently scooped her from the cradle, then she paused, frowning a little. "I can't believe I just called myself a grandma."

"Hey, I thought we agreed on the plane that I will hold her first?" Ted complained as Anne cradled Athena in her arms.

"Well, I got to her first. That agreement is now null and void," Anne said simply as she swayed around the living room with Athena in her arms.

"And I will hold her next, dad," Coleen said, walking to Anne's side at once.

For the next few minutes, Athena got passed around as the Mendozas bickered on who to hold her next and for how long.

"Hey, take it easy guys," Dei said sternly. "She's not used to having too many people around, and you're passing her around like a ball.

"Oh, don't be such a mother hen, Dei," Coleen said as she danced Athena around. "She's obviously enjoying all the attention."

Sure enough Athena flashed a wide smile as her aunt and grandparents fussed over her. Rose and Rick looked on, trying to give their in laws enough time to spend with Athena but also longing to hold her again like they always did.

"Don't you want to eat first?" Dei asked. "Mommy Rose cooked us some nice dinner."

"You guys go ahead. I'll stay here with the princess," Ted said, gingerly sitting on the couch with Athena in his arms. Her small hand touched his cheek curiously.