Hospitals

My POV

We had just landed back home. But I don’t have the relaxed feel I got the last time we were here. I tug on my long sleeve shirt. We had changed in the airplane toilets. Instead of shorts and a singlet, I’m wearing purple skinny jeans, a white long sleeve shirt with black love hearts and white converse. 

I see Jamie waiting for us. I run up to him. He grabs me in his arm and I cry into his shoulder. I’ve never felt this close to Jamie before. 

“Come on, let’s go,” he says softly pulling away from the hug. 

We follow him out to his car in the car park. We all get into his seven-seater car and he drives off. We managed to get all our stuff in the trunk of the car because each of us only brought a duffle bag. The rest of luggage is being sent to England. 

~~~~~~~

It wasn’t long before we arrived at the hospital. Since it was the children’s hospital in Perth, it was a short drive. I jump out the car before it had even stopped and run in.

I see mum in the waiting room and run over to her. Her eyes are puffy and red from crying. I hug mum. Her grip is tight around me. I hear someone clear their throat and let go of mum. 

“Are you Miss Down’s family?” He asks us. 

I take in his appearance. His short brown hair and a few grey strands showing. His hazel eyes were behind a pair of old fashioned glasses. And his name tag read ‘Dr. Martin’. 

“Yes,” Mum replies. He motions for us to take a seat. Mum and I sit with Jamie, Matt and Dad. 

“We’ve just finished draining her stomach, and she’s doing fine. We’ve got a therapist waiting for her once you’ve all seen her. She will stay her until we think she’s stable enough to go home, but she will need to continue seeing the therapist three times a week for the the next month,” Dr Martin explains. 

“And what about school?” Dad asks. 

“We suggest that she doesn’t go back until she’s finished the therapy lessons,” he replies. 

“Can we go see her?” Matt asks. 

“Yes,” the doctor replies. We all stand up. “But she requests to see Lily first,” he adds. Everyone turns to look at me. “She’s in room 96.” 

I give mum a look before I walk away. It takes me a while before I find Katy’s room. It took me longer than I thought because we’re at the other end of the hospital. I softly knock on the door before I walk in. 

“Hey Katy,” I say opening the door. 

I see my little sister lying still and looking pale. I can see the cuts on her wrist because of the short sleeved hospital gown. I feel my heart drop in my stomach. 

When Katy sees me she smiles. I mange to give her a weak smile back. I pull a chair over to the side of her bed. I don’t say anything, I just stare at the word ‘perfect’ scratched into her arm. 

“Why?” Is all I can say. Katy doesn’t reply, she just pulls the blankets over her arms. “Please tell me,” I beg her. 

“Because everyone is telling me to,” she whispers. “I thought I’ll do what they wanted me to.”

“Why would you listen some idiots behind a computer who are a too big of a coward to say it to your face,” I reply. My sister looks down and plays with her fingers. “Move over,” I say standing up. 

“But I’m too fat, you won’t fit,” Katy says without looking up at me. I sigh.

“Don’t pull that bullshit with me, you are so skinny,” I say looking up and down her body.