Chapter 11- Start of Term

Chapter 11-Start of Term

The students should be here any minute.  I wonder who will be the DADA teacher this year. I wouldn’t mind taking up the position myself…but to my disappointment a man with an unnaturally white smile, and blonde hair sat at the table. He seemed a bit stupid and arrogant. The students began to file in. The first years were lined up for the Sorting. I leaned in towards Snape “Who’s that git?” I asked. He smirked a little. “Gilderoy Lockhart, he’s supposedly done a lot for wizarding communities. Everything in the books.” I remembered the books assigned for his class. I fake coughed really loud so it sounded like ‘bullshit’ Snape laughed. This was the first time we actually talked without calling each other a name. Wow. I then realized an absence at the Gryffindor table.

“Severus, will you and Lyra try to find out the whereabouts of Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley?”

 He nods and I get up. However it’s a short time before we find them.

“Hang on…There’s an empty chair at the staff table… where’s Snape?”

I smiled a bit, Snape raised his eyebrows.

“Maybe he’s ill!”

He sounded hopeful.

“Maybe he’s left! Because he missed out on the Defense Against the Dark Arts job again!”

Snape didn’t look pleased at all. I chuckled a bit.

“Or maybe he’s been sacked! I mean everyone hates him…”

“Or maybe he’s waiting to hear why you two didn’t arrive on the school train.”

He sounded pissed.

“Lyra! Go get Minerva and bring her and Albus to my office.”

 Both Potter and Weasley gave me a hopeful look, as if asking me not to go but I shrugged and went to the Great Hall. I waited for Dumbledore to finish his speech before I led him and Minerva to Snape’ office. He looked all too pleased. They began explaining. Minerva gave them a detention and a note home. Snape’s look of happiness disappeared

“Professor Dumbledore, these boys have flouted the Decree for the Restriction of the Underage Wizardry, caused serious damage to an old and valuable tree—surely acts of this nature--.”

I grabbed his arm

“This does not concern you!” I hissed. He glared at me.

“It will be Professor McGonagall to decide on these boy’s punishments, Severus. They are in her house and therefore her responsibility. I must go back to the feast, Minerva. I still have a few notices to give out. Come, Severus there’s a delicious looking custard tart I want to sample—Lyra care to join?”

I shrugged and followed him. This is going to be a fun year.