Chapter 22- The Dementor

Lyra pov

A lot had been on my mind lately. I think Sn-- Severus and I were...friends. It was strange to think about. I couldn’t stand being cooped up in the castle anymore. I walked out of my dorm. I knew Buckbeak was supposed to executed tonight. Poor Hagrid. Maybe I should go down. What time was that at? I had no clue. It was dark outside. I saw from the distance the Whomping Willow was attacking something. Probably a bird. I wandered around the grounds aimlessly, just wondering about some things when I saw a dark cloaked figure. Oh shit, how could I be stupid enough to forget about the Dementors? No use in running….Cant cast a Patronus…I’m screwed. I was unusually cold. I felt almost sick….then I saw the memories.

Mum throwing an empty beer bottle at me. Me in the hospital after father broke my nose. Being called an emo whore by nearly everyone at school.  Playing alone in my backyard. Covering up my scars and washing the blood away….

Then it stopped. Why did it stop? I should be dead. Well not dead but soulless.  I looked around; the Dementor was gone and there were a few silvery wisps. The night was illuminated by the moon, which was full and shining bright.

“You really should be more careful.” Said a velvet voice softly. Severus was right by my side. He cast the Patronus. He saved me. I felt...strange…overcome with emotion…I turned to him…No one ever stood up for me or saved me….no one…especially..Well especially a guy….I blushed a deep red and did something very brave or very stupid. I closed the distance between us and wrapped my arms around him. It wasn’t just a hug though. I pulled him down a bit so we were level and I drew a bit closer. I pressed my lips to his.  I’d been alone for so long human contact felt weird…but this felt oddly...right. His lips were smooth and he seemed stunned. I now realized he smelt strongly of peppermint and potion ingredients. The worst part of it was...there was…something there….sparks…I couldn’t describe it. This shouldn’t be happening. He didn’t pull away. I was about to pull away but his lips moved and then he was kissing back. I don’t know how much time passed. But suddenly I came to a realization…I was kissing Snape…I pulled away and looked at the ground. I was sure I was blushing very deeply. I looked at him and he was looking at the ground as well.  I shook my head. I nodded to him and walked away swiftly. Oh my dear god what did I just do? That was my first kiss. Snape was my first kiss. Holy shit, I ruined it. We were finally getting along and I just ruined it. Oh god what did I do…

Severus pov

Lupin forgot his potion….foolish bastard. If he didn’t take that potion….But something stopped me. Lyra was out. And by a Dementor. Oh no. I whipped out my wand and cast the Patronus. The doe burst out of the tip of my wand and took care of the Dementor. Lyra seemed stunned so I carefully approached her.

“You really should be more careful.” I said softly. She spun around and looked at me. She didn’t reply. She walked toward me, she seemed to be confused and pondering something. I watched her carefully. She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me into a hug. I squirmed a little but hugged her back. I wasn’t used to being hugged…She pulled me down a bit and got a bit closer. What is she doing? I felt her lips on mine as she kissed me softly. I’d never been kissed before….or kissed anyone…but somehow it felt right. I realized I wasn’t kissing back. I sensed she was about to pull away but part of me didn’t want her to. I kissed back and it felt nice… Suddenly she pulled away. She was blushing a deep shade of red. There was an awkward silence and she left. What had just happened….