luke

THE BIG REVEAL: P A R T O N E

Lucy ruffles her hand through my recently prepped hair (that took an hour to do thank you very much) and I try not to cringe or show my discomfort. She peppers small kisses upon my neck and I grin as she straddles my waist. We paid no attention to the episode of Friends playing in front of us as I press my lips against hers.

"Our birthday is tomorrow," Lucy breathes out, laughing softly. "We're old."

"At least we're going to be old together," I say and kiss her again.

I watch out of the corner of my eye as she reaches to ruffle her hand through my hair but this time, before she could, I catch her wrist with my hand to prevent her from doing so. She pulls away and gives me a weird look.

"Somebody's paranoid about their hair being messed up."

"I'm not paranoid about my hair," I huffed.

She raises her eyebrow. "So obsessed, then?"

I scoffed. "I am not obsessed with my hair!"

"Sure." Lucy smirks.

"I'm not!"

"Okay," she replies. "So, Luke, what was the prank the boys played on you to cause this whole switch-a-roo thing again?"

"They dyed my hair black," I murmured.

"Oh yeah, I remember now."

I rolled my eyes. "I care about my hair, so what? Can we get back to making out now?"

"I bet you looked great with black hair," Lucy commented.

I bit my bottom lip and admitted, "Actually, I kind of liked the black hair."

"Then why did you freak out about it?" she asked, curiosity blooming in her bright blue eyes.

I sighed. "I thought other people wouldn't like it as much."

"Other people... like your fans?"

I nodded.

"Luke, your hair is your hair just like your body is your body. You don't need to please anyone with it but yourself," she advised. "You shouldn't care what other people think, if you want to dye your hair then dye it."

I thought for a moment.

"I want to dye it."

Lucy's eyes widened as she spoke surprised, "Really?"

"Yeah, you're right," I told her, holding her close to me. "I shouldn't care what others think as long as I like it."

Lucy gives me a proud smile, then abruptly pulls away and stands up. I give her a confused look and she says, "Well? Aren't you coming with me to get the hair dye? The store closes in a few hours, you know."

-

I scrunched my nose up. "It smells kinda weird."

Lucy rolls her eyes as she rolls up the sleeves of her shirt. "It's hair dye, Luke, it's not supposed to smell good."

I let out a sigh. "Do I have to wear a trash bag, though?"

"Do you want chemicals spilling on your shirt?"

"Fine."

She giggles at my stubbornness and I roll my eyes at her mockery.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" she asks softly.

"I'm sure," I confirmed. "If I regret it, then I'll dye it back to blond."

"Michael would be so proud," she laughs.