luke

I watch as Lucy's father goes to strike her in the face but before the bastard could do so, I grabbed his wrist and restrained him.

"Don't you fucking dare lay a finger on my girlfriend," I spat angrily, incredibly tempted to punch him in the face but I'm not a violent person like him.

The man recoils at my grip and pulls away, sneering at me. "I'm her father. I can do whatever I want to her and I'm not going to let a pathetic wannabe rockstar take her away from us."

Lucy's face twists into anger and she screams furiously, "Get the fuck out! Don't you dare talk to my boyfriend like that! Just leave."

I pull her close to me as her mother steps up and says viciously, "Show your parents some damn respect, Lucy."

"If you don't leave," Lucy's uncle spoke up, a tone of authority in his voice, "I will call the police."

Lucy's parents froze and turn to Lucy. She looks at them with disgust and whispers, "Leave."

They both scoff and finally walk out, and we all stay in silence as we watch them drive away through the store's windows. Lucy takes a deep breath, and bursts into tears. I hold her close to my body as she buries her face into the crook of my neck.

"I hate them so much," she sobs. "They always try to find a way to make my life hell."

"Don't worry," I tell her, rubbing her back soothingly in slow circles. "They're not worth worrying over. I will protect you."

Lucy slightly pulls away, the stain of tears visible on her cheeks. "I'm so sorry about them. I'm sorry for what they said to you. They're awful people and I'm-"

I interrupt her, "Don't apologize for them. You had nothing to do with those despicable people. I'm sorry for not warning you over the phone that they were here."

"I just hope I never turn out like them," she says bitterly, glancing at the floor.

I furrowed my eyebrows and placed a finger under her chin, lifting her head up so we could make eye contact. "You won't."

"How do you know?"

"Because you're an amazing person, love. You're different from them because you know how to treat people how they should be treated. You're beautiful, and you're so damn intelligent. You have a soul made to save this world," I breathed out, leaning my forehead against hers.

Lucy smiles a little, wiping her tear-streaked face. "I love you."

"I love you more," I tell her, kissing her forehead.

"Young love is always a beautiful thing," Lucy's uncle spoke, startling Lucy and I.

Lucy blushed and then shook her head. "I hope they never come back here."

"They won't," he assured, nodding his head. "I plan to invest in some security cameras and hire an actual security guard for the store. I've always intended to keep you safe, Lucy, ever since the day I took you in."

He steps up and puts his hand toward me. "Nice to meet you, Luke is it? I presume you're the special lad who's stole my niece's heart."

Lucy blushes again and so do I. I shake his hand and say, "Nice to meet you too, sir. And I believe she has taken my heart as well."

He laughs. "No need for the formality, call me Milo. And by the way, I approve."

"Thanks, Milo," I smiled.