Three

Kai

I sighed when the alarm on my phone began blaring, waking me out of the good sleep I was having

I sighed when the alarm on my phone began blaring, waking me out of the good sleep I was having. Sliding the screen of my iPhone to the right, the annoying sound stopped.

Pulling my thick, dark grey comforter over my head, I rolled back over and said my daily prayer before finally getting up and walking to my bathroom to do my daily routine. I had about an hour to get to my baby before the doors opened.

Gymnastics used to be the love of my life up until six years prior when I injured my Achilles' tendon. I could've had surgery, but there was a fifty-fifty chance of success. I decided to not go through with the surgery, having to deal with occasional pain in my right ankle, but that was better than not being able to walk. My heart was broken when I couldn't flip around anymore, but luckily I had my love for baking to fall back on.

As soon as I graduated high school I got my degree in business within three years and opened up Kai's Kupcakery, my baby. It started off as just me, working out of my mom's house. As I built up my clientele and stacked my coins, my dad surprised me on my twenty first birthday by buying my building. I honestly didn't want him to put anything in, but he noticed how dedicated I was and decided to contribute.

"Goodmorning, ma," I answered the phone with a mouth full of cereal, looking through my closet for my other black, waterproof Ugg Boot. Three days before it was hot as hell, but then it's freezing and storming.

That's Houston for you.

"Goodmorning, baby. Why haven't I seen you in three days," she questioned and I had to resist the urge to smack my lips.

My momma was so clingy and always wanted her kids near her. She almost died when I went to college, came back, and then moved into my condo. But if I was a bum who didn't wanna be independent, she would be complaining on the daily.

"Is that my sister," I heard one of my younger brothers yell in the background. It was most likely Terrence because Tyriq would've been on my ass for no reason.

In total, I had five younger siblings, excluding Amir. Six years after me, there was Kaine and Riz. A year later, my mom, Layla, got married to her husband, Tony. Not too long after that, Tyriq and Terrence were born. Kaydence was born somewhere in between them.

At only fifteen, Tyriq was a damn mac. He looked a lot like his father with darker brown skin but he had a six foot frame and one of those thot cuts. On the other hand, Terrence was only five and looked more like momma.

"Yeah. It's your long lost sister," momma spoke, making me bust out laughing at her dramatics.

"I'm Facetiming, hold up," I spoke, before putting my now empty cereal bowl down on my dresser, taking the phone from my ear, and clicking on the option to FaceTime them. Within a few seconds the call was connecting and Terrence popped up, too close to the camera.