Part 13

"Are you pregnant?"

Cheryl was completely taken aback by that question, barely blinking as she stared at Melanie whilst the question of being pregnant continued swirling around in her head. She genuinely hadn't thought about pregnancy as even a possibility, but she also couldn't deny that she'd secretly been feeling ill over the last week or so even though she'd done a good job of playing down how she was feeling and such.

"I'll ask this another way," Melanie continued after receiving a shocked look from Cheryl, "When was your last period?"

And now Cheryl was really stuck on how to answer that question, especially because she hadn't really been paying much attention to her periods due to enjoying her holiday and then being so consumed with thoughts of the upcoming trial with Sophia and all that.

"Oh fuck," she breathed out as she put her head in her hand whilst pulling her knees up, "Fuck, fuck, fuck – Melanie I don't have time to be fucking pregnant for fuck's sake!"

"Okay calm down, babe," Melanie placed her hand on Cheryl's shoulders, "One step at a time, and that starts with getting up off this stall floor."

Cheryl nodded in agreement, allowing Melanie to help her to her feet. The two of them wandered out of the stall and went to the mirror; Cheryl splashing some water over her face before patting her face dry with a paper towel.

"Mel I'm serious; I don't have time." She breathed out.

"We don't even know for sure; it was just a theory." Melanie pointed. Cheryl sighed out, shaking her head as she looked up again.

"After this, will you go to the shop and get some tests with me? I can't talk to Liam about this right now – I don't even know how he'll react or anything like that." She shook her head in despair; Melanie being able to see the obvious tears that had formed in her eyes and were threatening to spill down her cheeks.

"Hey, don't," she immediately wiped the tears away with her thumb, "Liam isn't a monster; he'll be happy if this is the case. I'll happily go to the shop after court with you to go buy some tests and we can go back to mine and take them; good plan?"

"You really are an amazing friend to me even though the firm you work for is in competition with mine." Cheryl adorably replied as she threw her arms around Melanie; Melanie bursting out laughing as she hugged her back and kissed her cheek.

"I love you too, Cheryl," she squeezed her before letting go, "Come on, let's get back out there before Tre and Kim start to worry."

Cheryl nodded her head, linking arms with Melanie as the two of them walked out of the bathroom together. Kimberley and Tre were still waiting in the lobby; Tre having gone in to get them to extend the break by another fifteen minutes as Cheryl had been so ill.

"Are you okay now?" Kimberley immediately asked, placing her hand on Cheryl's arm. Cheryl nodded, smiling at her.

"Don't worry; I'll be fine," Cheryl replied before turning to Tre, "Are we due back inside yet or?"

"Nah, we still have about ten minutes or so – I managed to get the break extended for a bit since you clearly aren't well," Tre raised an eyebrow, "You haven't been running yourself to the ground again have you? I'm worried."

"And I told you to stop worrying about me when we were working for Jameson together; I'm fine." Cheryl smirked back. Tre chuckled softly, nudging her arm.

"Everyone worries about you because if you're knocked off the lawyer throne, nobody can fill those shoes so you kind of need to stay around for a while," he joked which made Cheryl playfully gasp, "Nah, seriously you're very much respected in this field so of course people want to make sure you're doing okay too."