Part 18

It was as if time stood still as Cheryl and Ashley remained standing there looking at each other; it being so silent that a pen could be heard dropping, tension hanging in the air like a thick cloud. Even the boys in the lounge had quieted down and were now peeking into the foyer from their seats on the sofa to see what was going on; Liam was stood there looking between his girlfriend and the man who had once had a huge role in her life.

"Cheryl; I erm – I didn't know you still lived here and so I took a chance; came to bring you some flowers to thank you for agreeing to help me but I had no idea you had people over." Ashley feigned innocence; Liam frowning as he could see right through it while Cheryl simply came down the rest of the stairs.

"That's nice of you but it's my job; you can leave now though." She told him, frowning at him.

"Can we talk for a second?" Ashley asked. Cheryl went to respond before immediately being stopped as Liam stood in front of her.

"She told you to leave – I suggest you do that." He told him, frowning even more. Ashley frowned back and Cheryl actually groaned a bit as she wanted the ground to swallow her up.

"Liam don't," she warned him before turning back to Ashley, "Ashley, just go okay, please."

Ashley stared at them both for a second before dropping the flowers at Cheryl's feet and then leaving. Cheryl picked up the flowers while Liam shut the door; Liam not even really saying a word to her as the two of them went to the kitchen.

"I'm sorry he popped up like that; I don't know why but-" she was saying as she tossed the flowers into the garbage before being abruptly cut off by Liam.

"You agreed to help him?" He asked, frowning in a manner that showed that he was actually a bit annoyed – something that Cheryl had never really seen before as his eyes had darkened a bit.

"Yeah but it's just because he's moving abroad and he needs help getting some custody of his son or something; it's part of my job." Cheryl explained.

"You couldn't have said no?" Liam retorted, raising an eyebrow.

"Liam what is your problem? If you're thinking that there's an ulterior motive, then you're mistaking; he just wants help and I'm just doing my job." Cheryl tried to explain, trying to keep her voice down as Liam's friends were in the lounge.

"He couldn't have asked someone else? He really had to ask his ex wife?" Liam asked, sighing as he grabbed a bottle of water to drink.

"Ashley knows how great of a defender I am, his brother probably told him how I was at the custody hearing where I had to represent the mother of his brother's son - that's all there is to it." She sighed out, shaking her head in despair.

"He chose to ask you because he wants to get close to you," Liam told her, "I'm not fooled by that innocent act of him just dropping by to say thank you; he clearly thought something else was coming to it. Were you even going to tell me you were representing him?"

"Liam it's just a fucking court case, babe; there's nothing more nothing less – it's my work and I didn't think to say anything because it had to do with my work plus the baby was on my mind and all," she placed his hands on his shoulders, "Liam, please believe me when I say that I won't let him mess us up; you know I won't."

"I don't trust him, Cheryl." Liam told her, brushing her hands off him. Cheryl simply stared at him for a second before rolling her eyes, grabbing some water.

"Whatever; you're acting just like JB right now being paranoid for fucking nothing and I'm not in the mood to deal with that so just whatever." She snapped at him. Before Liam could respond, she stormed off upstairs; Liam how stood in the kitchen against the counter, sighing at himself before putting on a brave face to return to the living room.