Chapter Twenty

The preparation was now underway, and the castle was flooded with people bustling through the small corridors. Trying to walk through them was horrendous, not to mention that everyone was also preparing a wedding. I think we were all a lot more focused on a war that could potentially wipe out every single living or undead being around, but we were still trying to make it to the wedding. I heard music and rushed down the corridor, knowing I was already far too late. Wearing killer heels didn’t help in any way either, and I had to hold this tacky pink dress up so I didn’t trip.

Why did she have to pick a pink colour scheme? Why not something more plain like white or even yellow? Anything was better than pink. The edges of my dress were lacy as well, adding to the potential it had to make me throw up glitter. I had my hair pinned back but it was coming lose from all the running. My make up was now smudged. Nobody said living in a castle wasn’t a workout. I passed numerous doors and windows, each time looking to see how much further I had to run.

I found the smaller hall that was reserved for occasions like this and ran in, quickly finding my seat towards the front. Then it dawned on me as to what was happening. My best friend was getting married to a monster. How could he marry someone and be forced into an eternal life of murder and damnation? Only he could answer that. His answer would be ‘love’ though. I personally gave up with love the minute I found out Brian died. Love was a fictitious feeling that we created in order to feel wanted when we were lonely. I found my tissues and took them out, gripping them tight because I knew that this was not going to be the happiest of occasions for me. The vampire from carter and Demie’s wedding stood at the front by a shaking Elliot.

Elliot looked different in his suit. It was a simple black suit with white shirt and a black tie, he looked like he was going to prom instead of a wedding. His green glasses seemed out of place, but his quirky style was a way to let his personality shine through. I smiled up at him and he smiled back, brushing his fringe from his eyes. I could never picture him as a vampire; he was just too kind to be so soulless. I knew that I could always rely on him though, because we were best friends.

I heard music, which was a gothic version of Here Comes the Bride, and I and the other guests stood up in respect. We all looked back in unison to see Drella walking down the aisle. I felt for her, because she didn’t have her dad to give her away. Instead, she was being led by Damien, who was dressed in a similar suit to Elliot but his tie was a deep crimson. I guessed that and pink was the colour scheme. Damien looked so...proud of his sister. It was comforting. She was beaming, a smile from ear to ear if ever I saw one. It twinged at the side of my lips, making me smile slightly as well.

The dress she was wearing was truly to die for. It was a meringue type dress with a puffed out skirt that was ruffled, each ruffle held in place with a diamond. The bodice pulled her waist in and was decorated with crystals, with the occasional pink gems. Her bouquet was red roses that had glitter that tipped the petals, I heard that to grow like that was natural in Victus. Her hair was flowing in golden curls and the veil had yet more diamonds in it, and the edge of the veil was pink glitter. She was the same height as Damien so I guessed she had heels on. She really was the perfect image of a bride, the one every young girl wished to be with her Prince Charming.

It was a shock to see everyone dressed so formally. They must only dress like this for special occasions, because otherwise most just skulk about in jeans and shirts. Most would only ‘dress up’ about once every ten years. Carter and Demie were too busy with the safety and protecting the castle seeing as we were now at war, but the rest of the castle was here. Even Ridley was here, just standing ominously at the back. He really could blend into the shadows, like he was a shadow himself. He physically scared me; I think it was safe to say he scared everyone. Drella walked down the aisle still beaming and took her place by Elliot, taking his hand and turning towards the vampire leading the ceremony.