Chapter 7

He knocked the door of Gupta house and Shashi opened the door.

"Come in" Shashi said welcoming his ex-son-in-law.

"Khushi?" he asked and Shashi said, "She is getting ready! Sit down!"

Arnav sat down and Shashi said to Buaji, "Get him some coffee!"

"Arrey nahi it's ok!" he said but Shashi said, "Have it. It's been long you had some food here!" Arnav sighed and nodded.

"How is business going on?" Shashi asked.

"Good. How are you? How is your leg?" Arnav said.

"I'm fine but I cannot walk for long. It pains like hell! So doctor has advised me for morning walks! Healthy routine would fix it, he says" Shashi said. Buaji bought coffee and Arnav took it.

"We're planning to come there tonight. Riya is coming home right?" Buaji said and Arnav nodded.

It was then Khushi walked downstairs in a peach coloured sari and her hair tied up in a loose braid. He stood up and Khushi said to Shashi, "Babuji, Buaji. hum jaate hain!" Shashi and Buaji nodded and she turned to Arnav. "Chale?"

He nodded and both of them walked out.

The white SUV drove through the Delhi roads while she sat leaning on the door with her eyes focused outside while he concentrated on the road. An awkward silence filled the car as both of them didn't know what to say.

He looked at her occasionally and suddenly changed his object of vision when he noticed her looking at him. She sat up straight and turned to him.

He heard her voice, "Are you eating your medicines?"

He didn't reply.

"Jiji told me that you are careless these days! You should take care of your health Arnav!" she said softly.

"Listen, just because I bandaged your wound, doesn't mean that everything is okay between us!" he said angrily looking at the road.

She sighed and said, "You always asked me why I betrayed you right? Let me tell you Arnav. It wasn't me. It was you. It was you who cheated me, who mistrusted me, like always!"

"What did I do?" he shouted as he increased the speed of the car.

"The same that you do every time. Mistrust me! Shout at me! But this time I'm not going to justify myself. I had been doing this for my whole life and now I can't. If you think I have an affair with Nanhe ji, let it be! I'm not going to change that. I don't want to live with a person who can't trust me! Love is not enough Arnav. Without trust, the love is worthless!" she said in her cracking voice.

"So I mistrust you. I jumped into conclusions?" he asked angrily. The speed of car increased like anything. "Weren't you the one who spoke to NK during nights? Weren't you the one who went with him to Shimla? I saw you hugging him, saying I love you through phone, smiling to him! Where has I gone wrong! It was you who cheated me Khushi. You are the cheater, not me!"

She sat back clutching the seat belt as the speed of car went on increasing. Tears rolled down her eyes and she sat shivering.

"Answer me Khushi....why are you silent now. Answer me...ANSWER ME!" he shouted.

He looked at her and saw her state.

Her fear for fast vehicles came to him.

"****!" he swore and applied brake. Parking the vehicle along the side, he turned to her who was sweating like hell.