Chapter Thirty Four

Melanie's POV
I watched as Chris first pulled out a handwritten letter.

"You want me to read it?", he asked.

I ran my hands through my hair and nodded.

"You sure?"

I nodded.

"Let me know if you want me to stop okay Mel."

I nodded.

"Dear Melanie,
You hate me, I know. You never wanted to see me again, I know. I failed as a parent, I know. Everything you could possibly tell me, I already know. I'm not in denial and I know I'm not right in the head but one thing that will always remain the same is that I AM your mother. We share the same blood and heartbeats are in sync. I know it's hard for you to see me come back into your life like this but give me the chance to do right by you. I swear im not the same person anymore. I've gotten help and I'm no longer on drugs. So I'm just gonna cut straight to it, I am experiencing some trouble with my kidneys and I really need one and you're my best bet to still remain alive. Please help me so I can have the chance to do right from now on. You can reach me at the number below and I will be looking forward to getting to know you."

"Wait, is that it?", I grabbed the letter and looked it over.

"Yup, that's it.", he said lowly.

"Hmm.", I nodded.

"Whatchu thinking?"

"I can't even say I'm surprised. She never, not even once, apologized for what she did. She's still the same selfish bitch she was 13 years ago and she can die for all I care."

"Mel-"

"A kidney! That's all I am to her! A fuckin kidney! What else is in this envelope?", I tore it open and saw two old photographs. The first was a picture of her holding me as a baby and the second was of her as a teen and some black man with her.

"Is that your dad?", Chris asked.

I shrugged,"I don't know."

"You've never seen a picture of your dad before? I know he passed before you were born but she never showed you a picture?"

I shook my head.

"That's odd."

"Yeah, I guess it is."

"Wait, what else is in the bag?"

I reached inside and pulled out a book. It looked like it was a freshly purchased autobiography from Barnes and Nobles and on the cover was a light skinned man smiling. My eyes wandered to the top where the authors name was written "Trevon Blake". I looked at the printed date and it was this year.

"Why she give you a book?"

"I uh- I think this is my dad."

Chris looked at the man on the book and the man in the picture and said," Yup this is definitely the same guy."

"So he isn't dead after all. All these years... and I never knew my father." I stood in shock "Well ain't this some shit!"

Chris' POV
I have a question. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!

We go from Melanie's mom asking her for a kidney to finding out her dad who's supposed to be dead, ain't dead at all and he's actually doing well for himself. Writing books and shit.