Chapter eight: Unexpected visitors

[From: Lukas]

Can you come film me this afternoon? I haven't put anything up since the weekend and I wouldn't want my followers to drop.

[From: Lukas]

Are you still made at me? I understand if you are but, you have to understand, I didn't have the choice, Philip.

Philip snorted and rolled his eyes at Lukas's texts. How can someone be so selfish? He hit him and made him pass for a stalker at school and all he thinks about is his number of followers dropping? 

Unbelievable...

Putting his phone back on his nightstand, Philip stood and got ready for school. He knows Lukas will see that he read his texts but he won't reply. He promised himself he wouldn't. Not now, at least. Lukas needs to understand that he really hurt him. Not only physically but, inside too. Philip might have thick skin but it doesn't mean nothing can get to him. 

''Are you ready? Helen is dropping us again today,'' Isak said, standing in the doorway with his jacket on and shoes in one hand. 

Nodding at him, the brunette grabbed his bag and headed out, leaving his phone at home so he wouldn't be tempted to reply to Lukas at school in case he has a moment of weakness.

Helen stop her jeep in front of the school and when Philip moved to open the door, she stopped him. ''Philip, stay. I'd like to have a little chat with you.'' 

''A little chat? Great...'' he grumbled under his breath, sitting back. 

''Why did you keep what happened at school from me? I know I need to be patient but it makes me sad that you don't want to tell me things. Ever. You always keep me away from your life. I know my job can be a little intimidating - I carry guns and stuff on me - and I understand if that's why you didn't want to tell me because you were afraid of my reaction.'' 

''I knew you'd overreact and want to press charges, that's why I called Gabe and not you.''

''Gabe shouldn't have kept it from me either. It was wrong of him to do that.''

Philip turned to Helen and decided to tell her a piece of his mind. It's not fair that she can corner him all the time but not him. ''I heard you the other day. And I know you're driving Isak and I to school just to not see him in the morning which is, in my opinion, really immature.''

''Philip, I'm sorry you had to hear this-'' 

''You and Gabe better work this shit out because Isak and I aren't little dolls you can give away when you don't want them anymore. Starting over in a new city where you know no one is really tough.'' 

Before Helen could say anything else, Philip left the car, slamming the door behind him, leaving the sheriff shocked and speechless. 

***

  How did he get here? That's the exact question that's pounding in Isak's head since he walked inside Even's house. How did he get Even to invite him over? 

Isak was working on his math homework at the school's library when Even came up to his table and asked what he was doing. He explained that he was working on this big homework and still couldn't understand a thing. ''Math's hard, it's all.'' 

''I could help you with that, if you'd like. I'm excellent at Math. I almost got the Fields medal last year.'' 

Isak glanced at Even with a confused look, eyebrows pulled into a frown.