Chapter eighteen: This is what friends are for

After a whole night of crying himself to sleep, Isak decided to man up and stop moping over Even. Or, that's what he told himself he'd do. No needs to say it, he failed miserably not even one hour into the day. Lame, uh? It's not his fault if Even sent him a text during the night saying Isak forgot one of his textbook at his place. The little hearts at the end of the texts were what made Isak want to cry again. Why is Even sending him hearts when he's back with his ex? Isak left him on read and went to school. 

When Isak entered the kitchen, Gabe seemed to have already left as Helen was sitting by herself at the table, sipping her morning coffee while skimming trough some folders. Isak grabbed a glass of orange juice and some cereals and sat next to her. 

''Where's Philip?'' he asked, not seeing the brunette in the kitchen and it was too early for school.

''He's outside helping Gabe load some boxes into his pick up. Why?''

Isak nodded, taking a spoonful of his cereals. ''Helen,'' Isak said, calling for her attention. She hummed, looking up from her black coffee. ''I'm sorry for last night,'' he apologized. ''What I did was really disrespectful and-''

She shook her head, offering him a small smile. ''It's okay,'' she assured him. ''Thank you for apologizing, though. I appreciate it.'' 

Helen drove the boys to school after Isak was done with his cereals. They were running a little late but Helen's a cop, she'll flash her lights and they'll get to school on time. No big deal. 

***

  Even was already there when Philip walked inside his biology class. He smiled at Philip and the brunette weakly smiled back and sat down, putting his books on his desk. Even raised an eyebrow. ''Hey,'' he said, trying to engage a conversation. 

Rubbing at his eyes tiredly, Philip hummed. ''What?'' 

''I said, hey,'' the blonde repeated. ''Are you sure you're awake?'' Even teased, nudging Philip with his elbow.  

''Honestly, I don't know myself. I haven't been sleeping very well.'' 

Philip barely slept last night and spent the night worrying about his brother. His brother who came out to him. His brother who suspect his boyfriend's cheating - or, back with his ex. His brother who cried in his arms for a small part of the night. 

He didn't only worry about Isak. There's his mom and Lukas too. Oh, Lukas. He makes Philip's brain - and heart - go fucking nuts. Talking about Lukas, Philip hasn't seen him since he invited him to his upcoming race last Sunday. Helen met him that afternoon and she totally scared him off; Lukas was frightened by Helen - or, her sheriff status. He didn't meet her eyes and stumbled over his words whenever he spoke, it was funny. 

Even hummed disapprovingly. ''Not sleeping? That can't be good, you need your beauty sleep,'' Even teased and Philip shook his head at him. Beauty sleep, really?

''I've spoken to a doctor about it and she said it's probably due to stress and that I have too much going on at the moment. I'm a teenager, duh. What teenager isn't stressed?'' 

''There's different stress levels, Philip. I get what you mean; teenagers are always stressed. But, it's a healthy level of stress. Nothing alarming that should keep you from sleeping.''

Biting his bottom lip, Philip thought about what Even said. Healthy level of stress? What does that mean. What's the line to cross between healthy and not? ''You think I worry too much?''