Chapter twenty-seven: Don't let go

The week had been long. Philip was grounded for stealing the camera and instead of going home, Philip was forced to walk to the police station everyday after school. Home was too free for him. Philip could watch the television, go on his computer or simply flee while Helen was at work. She also confiscated his phone, this way he would have no access to internet or his friends. It was a strict punition but Philip stole a DSLR and broke it. They're going to have to pay for this expensive camera because they can't return it broken. 

Friday was different. 

Helen was working a late shift and sent Philip home around nine o'clock. He looked tired and Helen felt back for keeping him awake. The doctor said he needed to sleep or he'll faint again. Sleep deprivation is a serious topic. 

''You're letting me go home?'' Philip asked, surprised. A part of him thought she was joking but she wasn't. 

''Yeah. I'm gonna be here for a couple hours still and you've done all your homework and helped me with some papers, I think you deserves a break.'' She closed the open file in front of her, placing it on top of the others. ''You go straight home, though,'' she warned, pointing a finger at the teenager. 

He nodded and packed his stuff, waving at her as he pushed open the door of her office. 

The air was chilly and Philip was glad he brought a jacket with him this morning. Walking in Tivoli during the night is very different than the city. Contrarily to New York, stores close their lights at night, the streets aren't filled with traffic and other than the fewer street lamps, the village is pretty dark. In other words, Tivoli looks dead at night. 

Philip took a shirt cut by the cemetery, sick of stepping into water puddles. His shoes are all wet not and it's very uncomfortable and cold. This is one of the reasons he hates Tivoli. It's always cold and gloomy and depressing. New York is more lively. 

After the cemetery, the brunette took the alley to bridge he always takes to go to Lukas's house. Cars never pass on this bridge, it's too old. It's mostly for pedestrians and cyclists. 

A few meters down the bridge, Philip saw someone standing on the other side of the railing. What the fuck. He started walking faster and the closer he got, the better he could see the person. It was a guy and he was tall. Probably his age too. He could only the person's back but it looked familiar. The wind blew and he caught a glimpse of the person's hair. They were blonde. 

Philip got closer and his heart started racing and he could feel himself panic. It was him; his best friend, Even. He was standing on the other side of the bridge's railing, about to jump. 

Although he was still mad at him for dating and hurting his brother, Philip couldn't continue walking as if he didn't see him. Even wants to kill himself. He can't let him. He has to intervene. ''Even? Even!'' he yelled, trying to get his attention and stay calm. The latter was very important yet so difficult. Philip didn't yell to loudly. He didn't want to startle him. Even might lose balance and fall

Philip ran up to where Even was, stopping once he was behind him but on the safe side of the bridge. He was tempted to call Helen for help but figured she wouldn't get here in time. And a part of him was afraid Even would jump off the bridge if calls the cops. Philip wouldn't be able to live with the guilt if that were to happen. 

Even was wearing a hoodie and a beanie was covering his hair. His long legs were shaking as the wind started to blow again. Philip's been in life or death situations before with his mom. He saved her from overdose more than once. He knows what to do. When it comes to suicide, he's completely clueless. 

Even hasn't been at school all week. 

His parents took him home Tuesday afternoon and he has barely moved from his bed ever since otehr than for bathroom breaks. He slept, mostly. His mom brought him food but he couldn't bear himself to eat it. He wasn't hungry.