Chapter nine: I missed you

When everything in Tivoli went wrong, Philip saw only one solution: escape. He knew leaving his problems behind and ignoring them wouldn't last forever, that he'll have to go back and face them at some point but for now, fleeing felt right. 

After his small discussion with Helen in the car, Philip waited till her jeep was completely out of sight to run off the the nearest bus station. It was a bit of a walk - twenty minutes - but he got there and took the first bus in direction of the city. 

Home.

He didn't have anything other than his backpack with his textbooks - no phone or clothes - so he knew he couldn't stay for long but he'll make good use of his time in the city. Philip knows how to have fun and free your mind in the city. He could go for a drink in some all day gay club or- Yeah, he knows exactly where to go.

Philip knocked on the door a few times and waited on the small patio. With a short glance around, he noticed nothing has changed since he was last here. Maybe except for the dead plants and the nasty tag on the door. Who did this?

Before he could ask himself any more questions, the door opened and Philip lost no time and pulled the short woman in his arms, hugging her tightly. She was a little shocked at first but once she realized who it was, she hugged back.

 She was a little shocked at first but once she realized who it was, she hugged back

Holding his mom in his arms was so relieving for Philip. He didn't know how much he needed her maternal touch until now. ''Mom,'' he whispered, too filled up with emotions to speak any louder. His voice was a little shaky and broken. He took a deep breath, composing himself as the familiar smell of cigarettes and cheap perfume filled his nose.

''Philip, sweetheart, I'm so happy to see you,'' she beamed, a wide grin forming on her lips. She pulled away and opened the door wider, letting Philip in. ''Sorry it's a little bit of a mess. If I had know you'd come, I would've done a little bit of cleaning,'' she laughed, taking some empty beer bottles off the coffee table and throwing them in an old brown box that must be the trash. 

''It's okay, mom. I don't mind the mess,'' he assured her.

Anne nodded. ''Okay. Okay. Come sit.'' She sat on the old couch, the same Philip remembered, and patted the spot next to her. Philip did as told and joined her, leaning his head on her shoulder.

Everything inside the house was the same. The curtains were still stained, the coffee table was still cover with empty bottles of pills and small baggies, the ashtray was filled to the top with some cigarette toppling over on the table and even the empty In N Out bag Isak had left on the counter was still there. The familiarity felt nice but Philip was a little worried about his mom's sanity. 

''Tell me nice things about you. School, love life...'' Philip looked up to her, his lips turning up a little, catching Anne's attention. ''What? Oh.'' She was surprised. Not because she doesn't think Philip would be able to date someone, she always had fait in him that he would find someone who loves him, but becuase the teenager never hinted about a love interest before. Ever. ''Oh my god. You got to tell me. What's her name?''