7. Wild Goose Chase

"Hey, little kid
did you wake up late one day?
You're not so young, but you're still dumb
and you're numb to your old glory,
but now it's gone."

:: X-kid -Green Day::

************************************************************

"Are you sure this is safe?" My hands were tightly gripping the wheel of Party's car.

"You're doing great!" Party reassured me.

I was zooming down the desert road, causing dust to fly behind us. The feeling of driving was exhilarating.

"Should I slow down?" I asked, realizing that we were going much to fast. Party laughed.

"Why would you want to do that?"

The wind was throwing my hair all over the place. This was what real freedom felt like. We got up to Zone 5 until we saw someone limping on the side of the road.

"Stop the car." Party commanded. I brought the car to a halt, and Party stepped out to see who the mystery traveler was. I followed closely behind him.

A girl, no older than 13, dragged her legs towards us, carrying nothing but a gun. She wore tight black jeans and a yellow and red crop-top, which seemed to be holding together by a thread. She had bright blue hair, and a red bomber jacket was tied around her waist.

"Are you okay?" Party asked the girl.

"Do I look fucking okay?" The girl replied, scowling at us.

"What happened?" Party crossed his arms.

"I was supposed to get a message to a lone Killjoy out on the end of Zone 6, but stupid Dracs chased me. Don't worry, they're gone. But they shot my leg." The girl explained.

"How old are you?" Party questioned, concern shadowing his face.

"13 and a half." The girl said proudly.

"What Zone?" Party's face went grim.

"Zone 2." She replied.

"For fucks sake..." Party ran his hands through his hair.

"Get in the car, we'll fix you up."

"Not a chance. Flaming Motor told me I had to give that message." The girl protested.

"Look, kid, there are no lone Killjoys living in Zone 6. This 'Flaming Motor' was bullshitting you."

The girl's boastful expression dropped.

"Now, get in the car." Party turned back towards the Trans AM. I looked at the girl pitifully, and walked back to the passengers seat.

"What's your name?" I asked the kid once she had seated herself in the back seat.

"Candy Pistol." The girl pouted.

"I'm Freia." I smiled, trying to make her feel welcome. Candy just raised her eyebrow, then broke into a laughing fit.

"Freia? That's what they call you? That's fucking lame."

I rolled my eyes, turning back to face the road. Party looked pissed off as he drove.

"What's wrong?" I rotated my body to look at him.

"She's way to young to be put out on a mission. Why would Motor send her off alone? It was a wild goose chase!"

I didn't really know what to say. It was a mystery. I felt bad for Candy. She didn't deserve to be attacked. We pulled back into the diner. Candy stepped out of the car, but Party was quick to pick her up.

"No more walking, you'll make your leg worse."

"Put me down, shithead!" Candy yelled. Party ignored her and brought the girl inside.

"Get Dr. Death on the com. I need to talk to him." Party announced, placing Candy on a cot in the back room of the diner. Jet Star rushed over to the injured girl. Party and Kobra walked back out of the abandoned building.

"Where were you?" Dylan asked me.

"Taking a drive."

"But you don't know how to drive!" Dylan's mouth dropped.

"Yeah, I know." I grinned.

"I'll have you know, I was sent here on a mission, not to get help from you imbeciles!" I heard Candy cry out from the back room.

"Jesus, she's loud." Ghoul mumbled as he went to go check on Jet Star. A few minutes later, Candy limped out of the back room, a fresh bandage around her leg. She strolled right passed me, and plopped herself down at one of the tables.

"Holy shit, what a temper." Jet wiped his brow.

"What's she doing here anyways?" Ghoul asked me.

"She came from Zone 2. Her leader sent her on a false mission." I explained.

"Damn, I'll go talk to her." Ghoul walked over to Candy, and sat on the booth across from her. A few minutes later, she was smiling.

"He certainly has a way with kids." I commented to Jet, who just grinned.

"He always has."

Party and Kobra walked back into the diner.

"Good news, kid. A few rebels are coming to pick you up and bring you back to Zone 2. They're going to have a word with Flaming Motor." Party spoke to Candy.

"Fine." Candy looked down at her feet.

By nightfall, three Killjoys pulled up to the diner in a bright yellow car with the windows bashed in. Party was the first to greet them outside.

"Show Pony, great to see you again." Party shook hands with a man in a white crop-top and white tights with blue polka dots.

'Why did they need such odd outfits anyways?'

Standing behind Show Pony, were a man and a woman who wore similar outfits. They looked around 27. Candy limped out to meet the three new Killjoys.

"This is Acid Trigger," Show Pony motioned to the girl behind her, "and that's Phantom Bullet."

The other man gave a small wave.

"They came up from Zone 2 to take Candy Pistol back." Show Pony explained.

"I appreciate you coming. Make sure to find out why Flaming Motor sent her out here."

Acid nodded firmly.

"Will do, Party Poison."

Show Pony guided Candy into the back of the car. Candy gave a small wave to us as they sped away.

"Weird kid..." Kobra commented.

"You really don't talk much." I turned to face him. Kobra just shrugged.

"Well, big day tomorrow. We'd all better get some rest." Party told us, stretching his arms. Tomorrow morning, we would head off to Battery City. I felt a heavy weight implant itself in my gut.

"Yeah, goodnight guys." I murmured softly as I walked inside.

I prayed that our plan would work.