Chapter 3

"You have a what?"

Dara scowled at the way her mom just asked her that question in an incredulous tone that sounded as if miracles are real.

"I have a date," she repeated what she told her mom. Her mom was sitting in the living room when she stepped out of her room wearing the new dress she had bought earlier that morning.

Her mom studied her from head to toe and Dara put a hand on her hip defiantly as she let her mom scrutinize her. Her hair was in a high ponytail with hair extensions to make it look really elegant, a white tube flare dress that matched her white and silver Prada Heels that she is taking the utmost care of when CL, one of her best friends, gave it to her when she had gotten back from the US. She swore to only use it on special occasions and of course, today marks one of those.

Her mom placed the book she was reading on the coffee table and stood up. Dara rolled her eyes as she was definite her mom is gonna go Isn't your skirt a little too short? Or Why don't you put on a jacket? It's cold outside or Why don't you bring Thunder with you? She was ready to answer those. That's the reason why I'm probably gonna die a virgin, mom!

Her mom put her hands on her shoulders and Dara dreaded the words that will come out of her mother's mouth that she's baring too much skin.

"Don't let this chance go, sweetie. Ask him to marry you or seduce him before this night ends."

Dara felt her mouth dropped in disbelief over the words she had heard from her mother. She was so ready to defend her very expensive dress! "Ewww! Mom!"

But her mom seems determined. "You're not getting any younger, Dara. You are already close on being left off the race. So while you're still beaautiful and looking fresh and young, whoever your date is, don't let him slip through your fingers. I know how picky you are so I'm sure that you agreed on this date because he had a stable job and you won't end up being his life's sponsor."

Dara's face scowled even more. "And here I thought you're going to protect my virtue."

"I am protecting our race," her mom said with a nod. "What if you're brother could't have a child?"

"Oh my god, ma. I don't want to continue this. I'm leaving." She kissed her on the cheek. "Where's Thunder, anyway?"

"He went out with his friends."

Dara frowned even more as she knows Thunder's friends and they are a bunch of college kids who looked like their hormones are raging all over the place. "If Thunder ever wound up getting someone pregnant, I'll have him thrown in a war zone. He doesn't even have the money for his own gas, let a alone taking care of a baby and making me an aunt!"

"Don't be so exaggerated," her mom said with a face at her ridiculous assumptions. "They just went out to play basketball."

"Fine. I'm leaving now. I'll probably get home by 11," she said.

"Eleven? Why not twelve?"

Oh my god." Dara rolled her eyes and kept on muttering as she strides out of their front door. My mom is selling me. Unbelievable. I am close to becoming an old maid because of her. If she had only let me flirt around in college, she would probably have a lot of grandchildren by now. Pffft.

She kept on muttering under her breath as she went to her car and started the ignition. Why did I even studied so hard and worked so hard. Chief Office but still single. Aish! This date better come out with a bright future for me because if not... if not, I'm really going to end up seducing someone. I don't want to die a virgin. God, please! Like what my mom said, my genes are gonna be a waste not to pass it on.