Chapter 9

Jongin

I smiled at Baekhyun who was holding onto Chanyeol's arm while chattering happily. I chuckled and glanced at Kyungsoo, who was walking beside of me with his hands in his pockets and an uninterested expression on his face. "What are we exactly going to do?" I asked him, but Baekhyun answered. "Kyungsoo needs a new phone."

"Oh," I tried to think of something to say to keep a conversation going and came up with, "the old one is broken?"

"Something like that," Kyungsoo replied, still not looking at me. You're not really participating here shorty. I just want to talk to you.

I sighed and looked down at my shoes, not really sure of what to do now.

"Omg!" Baekhyun suddenly exclaimed. He clung onto Chanyeol's arm, dragging him towards the shop that got him so excited. He pressed his nose against the glass and looked at the puppies behind it. "They are so cute!" He grabbed Chanyeol's hand and pulled him inside, leaving Kyungsoo and I alone on the street. Neither one of us made a move to follow them.
On the contrary, Kyungsoo started walking further.

"Where are you going?" I asked, worried to leave the couple here. "Shouldn't we wait or something?"

"We'll find them back," he chuckled at the tone of my voice. "Atleast, If you want to join me."

"Where to?" I looked at the shop and then back at him.

"The park." He ran a hand through his hair, waiting for my answer.

"I guess we can do that," I walked over to where he was standing and nervously bit my lip.

We walked in silence for some minutes until we arrived at a small park. There were a few people walking their dogs and some children were playing on the playground.

Kyungsoo sat down on a bench and gestured me to sit next to him. Right now he looked more like a normal guy, not out of place like in the shop. There was something about him that interested me, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

I jumped in surprise as I felt something at my leg. I looked down and saw a young dog sniffling at my trousers. I smiled and reached out to pat his head. "Hello beautiful, where's your owner?"

"He's not going to answer you," Kyungsoo remarked.

I lifted my head to see his expression, but he turned away. "I know that," I replied softly, my hand still ruffling the dog's fur. "I just like to talk to them. I have the feeling they do understand us."

A smirk appeared on his face, "who knows."

"I'm pretty sure." The dog laid down and turned on his back, letting me rub his tummy. "He's so sweet."

"He likes you."

I chuckled, but then noticed Kyungsoo was staring at me. I could see it from the corner of my eye. I sucked on my bottom lip, nervousness washing over me. He opened his mouth, but turned to look at his hands and started fumbling with the bandage on his knuckles.

"You still need that?" I asked.

"Huh?" He looked at me confused for a moment before understanding my question. "No, but I kinda like it."

"It looks fierce," I blurred out.

He chuckled, "is that good or bad?"

"Depends on what you like." I felt my cheeks heating up a little for no reason, which made me annoyed.

"Do you like fierce?"

"I... I don't really know," I could slap myself for stuttering. Stop it Jongin

He laughed, obviously amused, making me feel a bit embarrassed. "You like dogs?"

"Yes."

"Do you have one?" He slumped down on the bench and put his hands in his pockets.

"Unfortunately not. I'm living alone and I can't let him in the house all day." I explained.

"Have you asked Chanyeol if you could take one to work?" He suggested.

"No," I stopped patting the dog and watched how a man walked over to us.

"Excuse me," he said. "Are you interested in the dog?"

Kyungsoo sat up straight again, "why?"

"I tried to sell him, but no one wants him." He explained. "You can have him for free."

I looked at Kyungsoo, who glared at the man. "Yes."

"What?" I asked surprised. "Are you for real?"

"Why not?" He asked back. "Take him Jongin."

"But... But... What about the things I told you before?"

"We'll deal with it," he replied. "We take the dog."

"Thank you," the man said before walking away again.

I looked at Kyungsoo in disbelief, "why did you do that?"

"You don't know what people do when they want to get rid of a dog," he answered seriously. "Baekhyun's studying at home, so there's always a place were he can stay. Don't worry."

I had to admit I was thrilled with my new friend and picked him up. "What shall we call him?"

"It's your dog," Kyungsoo chuckled.

"How about Monggu?" I suggested, lifting him up into the air.

"There you are!" Baekhyun's voice yelled. "What the..." He stopped as he saw the dog. "I can't leave you guys alone again."