Chapter 26

Jongin

"Hello!" I put Monggu on the ground, took off my jacket and kicked off my shoes before entering the living room. "Mom I couldn't fi- mom!" I sprinted to the spot where she was standing on a stool to get something out of the cabinet, and placed my hands on her hips to give her more stability. "What do you think you are doing?" I said as she was safely on the ground with both feet. "You could have fallen."

"Well I didn't, did I?" She spat and pressed the book she had taken from the shelf against her chest.

I bit my lip, trying not to take it personally, but it was difficult, because it was personal.
"What would you have done if you had fallen and I didn't visit?"

"Well-"

"Right, you don't have a phone other than the home phone. You can't call for help when you break your back or something!" I wanted her to see how much I cared about her and how frustrating it was.

"I just wanted to have a look at it before giving it to you," she explained and showed me the book.

"Then put it somewhere not that high." I took it from her and was surprised by seeing my name on it. "W... What is this?"
I traced the golden letters on the black background with my finger. Kim Jongin

"Those are your baby pictures." She pointed at the book and then at me. "Take it with you."

My heart sank. "Why?"

"I don't want it here." She turned around and moved the stool back to its place.

I looked down at it and bit my lip.

~

I had been waiting for a long time and almost fell asleep, when I heard the doorbell rang. I jumped up, wide awake, and ran to the door. I jerked it open and my jaw dropped. "Oh my-"

"Please, don't ask." Kyungsoo said, watching his shoes.

"But..." I was confused by how he acted. "Let me clean you up Soo."

"No, you don't have to." He looked up at me and I could see the cut on his cheek was bleeding again. What did he do?

"Please come in," my voice was serious and I hoped he had noticed. "Are you hungry?"

"I'm not." He shook his head an walked closer. I stepped aside to let him in.
Monggu came running over to us and Kyungsoo greeted him with a stroke. "Here I am again," he told him.

I scratched my arm as I watched how Kyungsoo winced in pain as he squatted down. "Let me clean you up." I tried again, but he shook his head.

"I just have a little headache," he tilted his head and pursed his lips at Monggu. "Who's a cute boy?"

I bit my lip and sighed, before walking over to them and placing my hand on his shoulder. "Kyungsoo please."

He lifted his head to face me and tried to stand up. I reached out my hand to help him and kept holding it. I tried to make eye contact, but he avoided it.

"You don't have to tell me, just let me help you." I swallowed the lump in my throat away that was created by my worry.
His eyes focused on our hands. "Okay."

"Is your whole body hurt?" I asked. "You can take a bath. Follow me."
I leaded him upstairs and into the bathroom. I mixed the hot water with cold, so he could immediately sit in it.

Kyungsoo took off his shirt, but glanced at me. "Are you gonna stay here to watch me or not?" He chuckled. "Not that I would mind, but yeah."

"Ah... I'll be downstairs." I replied, blushing slightly. As soon as I closed the door behind me I started laughing softly. That cheeky bastard.

Kyungsoo

My whole body was aching, cause he had kicked and hit me at the same places as before. And the cut and wound on my head were open again.

I stripped out of my clothes and carefully lowered myself into the bathtub. "Aish." The water turned a shade of red, but as long as I was sitting it was alright.
I leaned back and rested my head on the edge, eyes closed. There were so many things going on in my head, it hurt. I couldn't keep track of all my thoughts.

I sat there for a good fifteen minutes before stepping out. I used a dark blue towel instead of the white one, so the blood wouldn't be visible, and got dressed again.
When I walked into the living room Jongin was sitting on the couch with a big black book on his lap that was still closed.
He looked up at me and smiled. "Did it help?"

I nodded and sat next to him, "a bit. What's that?"

On the cover of the book stood his name in curly letters. He looked sad while answering, "my picture book."

"With baby pictures?" I asked hopeful and he nodded. I shifted on the couch so I could lay my cheek on his shoulder.

"My mother gave it to me today." He explained.

"Can I see?" I reached out and opened it, showing the first page. It was a small card of a baby bear.

"That one's from my grandparents." He turned the page and showed a picture from baby Jongin sleeping and one with him laughing. "I'm feeling a bit embarrassed," he admitted.

"Don't be," I caressed his cheek and smiled at him. "It's very cute."

"You think so?" His voice suddenly broke and he took a shivery breath.

I swung my arm around his shoulder and pulled him against my chest. "Oh Jongin."

"I'm sorry." His voice was muffled by my shirt.

"Don't be baby." I started stroking his hair and hugged him tight. I tried to remove the book from his lap with one hand and placed it on the table. "It's alright. Do you wanna go to bed?"

He nodded and pulled away from me, wiping away his tears. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me."

"Stop apologizing. I'll walk Monggu, you go upstair okay?" I cupped his face and pressed a kiss on his cheek. "I'll be right back."

That night I fell into a dreamless sleep. I had been awake for a while with Jongin in my arms, just listening to his breathing and wondering why he reacted that way.
I realised we both had our secrets.