Chapter 5

RYAN

For the second day in a row, I slept in, tired from my late night texting with Becca. Alex barged into my room just after seven, and I had to run around like a madman to shower and grab my stuff. We hopped in my old, red, pick-up truck and sped down the streets. Practically sprinting down the hallways, I snuck into chemistry right before the bell.

I knew Becca wasn't going to be here today: she let me know this morning. That, and my level of exhaustion, meant this would be a very long day.

~~~

I trudge into lunch and sit at my usual table. Mason and Kate are trapped in their own flirtatious world and thankfully Melissa and Isabelle are holding an animated conversation about some party this weekend. Landon saunters over, wearing his signature dark jeans, black tee, and black leather jacket.

"What's up?" he asks and sits next to me like always.

"Nothing much. Do you have a 'meeting' this weekend?" I use the code word we decided on for school. You see, Landon's badass looks are accompanied by his rebellious decisions. The only people who know about his 'meetings' are Mason and myself.

"Yeah, on Saturday. The opponent doesn't look too promising though. Only five-foot-ten and one-eighty, so I'll be good."

"When aren't you?" I joke. "I might stop by. I was hoping to hang out with Becca this weekend too," I mutter the last part and feel my cheeks warm.

"Shit Ryan, I've never seen you blush this much. It's almost embarrassing."

"Yeah."

Landon eats his pizza, pepperoni today, before asking: "Did she text you last night?"

"Yeah, but she didn't text me until like eleven."

"Night owl?"

"I'm not sure. She just asked me about the chem and bio homework, which I know she didn't need because she has the schedules."

Before I know it, I'm spilling the whole conversation to Landon. I mean we've shared everything since kindergarten so why not? He's positively someone I have full trust in.

"She's afraid of you?" he questions.

"I think she was initially, but I hope she's not anymore. We spent a lot of time getting to know each other so maybe that's going away. If not, I don't really know what to do."

"So, you've come to the man who's clearly good with the ladies," Landon says sarcastically. He's never had a girlfriend but I know that was purely by choice.

I just stare at him until he realizes I'm deadly serious.

"Ryan, I don't know. Just keep getting to know her. I mean she's obviously opening up to you more than anyone else. The text I sent you was the most she's ever talked to me and she doesn't talk to anyone in the classes I have with her."

It's relieving to get some words of reassurance from my closest friend. He jokes around a lot but knows when to get serious, and he never judges me or tells others about our talks. I would honestly trust him with anything and I know he feels the same.

"I still feel like something's wrong though and she's not telling me about it. However, we just met and it's freaking me out how much I care."

Landon tries hard not to grin at my confession.

"I get that vibe too, but you have to let her open up to you in her own time."

"I know, Lan. I'm just worried."