Chapter 95

REBECCA'S POV

"So, what's going on with you, Bentley? I know you're thinking about the whole Landon and Paul thing... you've been quiet all day." We had all just sat down at a table on the second level of the cafeteria (so we could keep an eye on our surroundings) and didn't even give her a chance to start on her food when I spoke.

"Yeah, I noticed it too. You don't have to tell us everything but maybe we can help..." Kate offered and Bentley looked a little apprehensive.

"It isn't that I don't trust you guys... I do, but it's a little awkward. You guys were friends with Landon before I came along and Becca you're basically a sister to him – it's just strange that you all know him better than I do."

"Don't be ridiculous! Just because I knew Landon since we were small doesn't mean anything. It isn't until a few years ago that he actually spoke to me for the first time and we've been in the same friend group forever," Kate said.

"Bentley, what I talk about with you stays between us just like what I talk about with Landon stays between me and Landon." She took a breath and probably contemplated how she should start.

"You both know about my past, Becca probably more than Kate, but either way you know about the guy that raped me..." we both nodded sadly. "Well, after Landon and I slept together after homecoming, and he freaked out at me, he seems different."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"He just acts different around me – like I'm fragile or something. I liked him because he saw who I wanted him to see... the strong, brave girl who doesn't take crap from anybody." Kate butted in when Bentley went quiet.

"Instead of the real you?"

"Yeah. The real me is scared and lonely. The real me feels like nobody wants me."

"Bentley that's not true!" I reached across the table and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "We all care about you so much. When you enter this friend group it's like another family." Kate nodded in agreement while rubbing circles on Bentley's back.

"I know, but now that Landon sees that it seems like he's too afraid to be with me – like he doesn't want to be with me."

"That's ridiculous. I don't even talk to Landon much and I can see that he's head over heels for you, right Becca?"

"Um..."

"That means yes!" Kate said with excitement. I can't break the trust between Landon and I by telling them everything but that was merely an opinion.

"Becca?" Bentley was curious and I didn't blame her.

"I agree with Kate but that's my opinion. I don't know if he's there yet, but I'm pretty sure it's close to that."

"Wow." She leaned back and Kate started munching on her fries like she was watching a drama in the theater and eating popcorn. "He sure doesn't act like it."

"It's hard for him to show his emotions Bentley. You know some of his past, right? Did he tell you?" She nodded in response and her eyes flashed towards Kate, unsure whether she knew or not.

"He said he doesn't want to bring me into his lifestyle." Kate was confused but seemed to understand not to pry.

"I know. He's just being cautious. You two need to sit down and talk – and not whatever type of talking you did before because that didn't work." She nodded in agreement and we talked about other things (like Bentley not talking to Paul anymore) until we were done eating.