Chapter 88

REBECCA'S POV

I was extremely nervous about telling Ryan's teammates what has been going on in and couldn't stop fidgeting in the car. I was aware that both Ryan and Alex were glancing at me just about every second but I couldn't help it. Just the thought of being out of the house was making me apprehensive but adding this to the mix pushed me well beyond my comfort zone.

We finally got to school about fifteen minutes earlier than usual and Ryan held my hand tightly the entire way to the men's locker room.

"Babe, you're going to be fine. Remember, bare minimum – I promise." He squeezed my hand once for reassurance and led me into the room close behind him. I could hear people shuffling around but it was dead silence and I cowered behind Ryan's body to avoid eye contact for as long as possible.

"What's going on Ryan?" I don't know who spoke but they had worry and confusion in their voice.

"Thanks for coming in early guys," Ryan started, "I need to ask for your help this week... You all know Becca," he lightly pulled me from my hiding place behind him and held me firmly to his side. "She's going through some stuff that we'd rather keep private and school isn't the safest place for her right now. I'm sorry that I can't explain this better and I understand if you don't want to be involved, but I just need some extra eyes on her for a little while to make sure she stays safe."

"Yeah, of course we'll help." It was the same voice from before and I looked up to catch the eyes of a blonde guy I recognized from my English class. Everyone else in the room agreed right away and I was relieved at how easily they were accepting this.

"I would have just relayed this over text but Becca wanted to meet you all first so a bunch of random guys weren't following her around all week," Ryan said with his voice less strained than before. A few chuckles reverberated throughout the locker room at his weak joke but introductions flowed towards me either way.

The warning bell went off and just before the guys all fled, Ryan and I thanked them for being so understanding and then head to Chemistry.

"Did you recognize any of them? I think Johnny said he was in one of your classes." Ryan asked.

"Is he the blonde?"

"Yeah, he's my center."

"He's in my English class but I really didn't look at anybody else too close..." He chuckled a bit and pulled my stool close to his before helping me hop up.

"That's alright." Before he could say anything else, Mr. Monty strode in and went off on a tangent about who knows what. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to pay attention if I tried so I just allowed my mind to wander.

---

Johnny smiled at me as he walked into our second hour English class.

"Who's that?" Apparently, Bentley wasn't caught up in the midst of my new drama so I explained quickly. Class started before I could ask her how things were going with her... and Landon admittedly. She does mention that she can't make it to 'defense training' with us tonight though because she has to work.

Classes fly by and once we get to lunch, I see the shoulders of the poor men who've been watching me all day practically sag in relief that I'm now my Ryan's side and safe. Did he threaten them or something without me knowing? I smile at the funny thought and feel myself relax even more when Landon and Mason join us at the lunch table.

"How are you doing?" Ryan's concern warms my heart.

"Good. Thank you for the extra security today... even if nothing happens; it does help my anxiety about this whole mess." He wraps an arm around me and hugs me to his side with a bright, dimpled smile.

"I love you Becs."

"I love you too."

We spend the remainder of the break pressed tightly together in a surprisingly cheery mood. Ryan talks to Mason about yesterday's practice and what he missed while I watch how strange Landon and Bentley are acting. Hmm...

The bell rings and the rest of the day is extremely non-eventful until Landon brings me to the warehouse after school. We're in our routine warm-up when I start bugging him about the weekend.

"How are things between you and Bentley?" He gives me a look right away.

"Fine. I'm sure she already told you what happened." Great, he was already being short with me.

"Hey! There's no need to have an attitude. I was just wondering if you wanted to talk about it."

"I don't." I stayed silent for a few minutes and after a position change of our workout, I knew he had something to say.

"What is it?"

"Becca, I just... do you know like everything about her?"

"...yeah, I'm pretty sure."

"Like with her past and stuff. Did she tell you about it?"

"Yes." Landon suddenly looked distraught and I stopped the exercises to set my taped-up boxing hand on his chest. "Hey what's wrong?"

"After we left the dance we didn't really talk much. She just kept crying and crying so I was there for her. One thing kind of led to another..." He stopped with a choking sound and just looked completely sickened.

"Landon what is it?"

"I got caught up in the moment and in the middle, she just started freaking out! I mean I obviously stopped and tried to help her but she ran to the other side of the room terrified!" I'm pretty sure I knew where he was going with this but didn't want to assume. "After she calmed down she apologized – which is ridiculous, it was my fault – and told me why that happened." His eyes showed deep remorse when he looked up at me and said: "I didn't know."

Bentley had told me that the only person she'd ever been with was Mr. Marcus, the man who'd not only raped her multiple times but also scarred her so deeply that she'd never be able to have kids.

"Sweetie," I cooed and pulled him down for a hug but he pushed away, upset.

"No! I was so stupid! I saw her face right away but just thought she needed some time... I should have just stopped then. I feel so horrible." Landon was trying hard not to cry and I knew he would hate to lose it in here – the place he literally acts tough and competes in fights for money.

"Hey, calm down. Take a breath." I fought with him and tucked his face against my neck for both comfort and to keep him from prying eyes. "It isn't your fault Landon."

"How can you say that?" His voice was muffled against my skin but his breathing had slowed a bit so I knew he wasn't as worked up as a few seconds ago.

"Because it's true." He took a few deep breaths and pulled away to stand straight now that his composure was back. "Did you talk with her afterwards?"

"Yeah."

"Landon, I know Bentley doesn't blame you for anything okay?" He nodded solemnly. "She really likes you y'know. Don't let this stop you from getting close to her." He didn't say anything else, just turned to his punching bag and went to town - clearly finished with this conversation.