Chapter 107

REBECCA'S POV

My eyes slowly opened to a dimly lit room with annoying beeps that never ended – in fact, they're the reason I'm no longer asleep. It doesn't take me long to remember where I am and why I'm here. The warm hand that grips mine tightly soothes my entire body and I can barely feel the thrum of pain radiating from my chest and through my aching shoulders. I focus on the strong, steady hand grasping mine and let my gaze travel up the muscular arm until I see his face. Ryan.

I immediately start crying. He looks so tired; his neck is at a weird angle as he tries to sleep in a chair that's much too small for his large frame. This man next to me has got to be the most amazing human being on the entire planet. He would literally do anything and everything to keep me safe and happy. An unexpected sob tore through me and he stirred from his sleep.

"Becs?" His sleepy eyes were all cute and squinty. "Becs?! Oh my God you're awake!" He moved in to hug me but didn't wrap his arms around me – didn't really touch me at all... He just hovered over me and placed gentle kisses all over my face. "I can't believe you're awake baby. I love you so much – I was so worried." He backed away and I saw tears streaming down his face. He messily wiped them away as more followed. "How are you feeling? I have to let someone know you're awake... do you need anything?"

I opened my mouth to speak but absolutely nothing came out.

"Don't push it sweetheart, I'll grab a nurse and some water okay?" He gently squeezed my leg from on top of the blankets and jogged through the door, returning quickly with a friendly nurse standing behind him.

"I'm so glad to see you awake dear! Your fiancé here has just been a mess... never left your side." Huh? I flashed my eyes to Ryan's and he just smiled and shrugged. He held up a small paper cup with some water so I could take a few sips. I tried to talk again but still didn't have a voice. "That sometimes happens sweetie, don't worry about it. Your voice will come back in no time! Is it alright if I pull away the covers for some quick examinations?" I nod. "Is your fiancé okay to stay?" I nod again, I don't care what Ryan see's and I'm sure he didn't leave when they'd checked me over multiple times before.

The nurse gently unfolded the heavy blankets and tickled my feet with a metal thing to make sure I had feeling in them. When she started to lift my hospital gown higher and higher, Ryan's face paled – maybe he didn't look before. I squeezed his hand to let him know I was okay when I really wanted to thank him for always being there for me, always rescuing me, and always loving me, but my stupid voice just wouldn't come out.

RYAN'S POV

Becca tried to offer me comfort although it should be the other way around. I couldn't bring myself to look when they did examinations on her during the previous days but I didn't want her to worry more if I looked away now...

Her legs weren't in that bad of shape besides an awkward shaped bruise here and there. I tried to avoid looking at her more sensitive areas mostly because I literally wouldn't be able to handle it if I saw any injuries there. The nurse had told me earlier that it didn't appear that she'd been raped but they wouldn't know for sure until Becca woke up and they talked about it – they took a sample just in case something had happened but they didn't see any foreign substance there either so that took a huge weight off my chest. Her abdomen had cuts that were stitched closed earlier and a large bandage covered the surgical scar that now spanned across her rib cage right underneath her chest.

"This looks like it's healing up nicely Becca," Kendall, the nurse, said. "Would you like me to explain what happened or do you guys want to chat first?" she asked me.