Chapter 78

RYAN'S POV

I was thankful that it was a lecture day in chemistry because Mr. Monty droning on and on helped to calm my libido a bit. I could tell that Becca was a little bit overwhelmed by what I'd said to her in the parking lot... but those damned leggings get me every time!

After our little 'moment' was over, she seemed be overwhelmed by a mixture of sadness and fear once again. I tried to make her feel better by looking at the bright side since we haven't gotten any texts from him recently but she would just shrug. There's no way Kirk was giving up – the man was insane, but him not bothering her as much anymore could possibly be a good thing, right?

After walking Becca to English and pecking her cheek goodbye, Bentley solemnly pulled her into the room and shot me a sad smile. The school patrol was stronger than ever and nobody ever left her side but Becca was still on constant alert. I had to cheer her up and the only way I could think of was finally going on that second date I'd promised her so long ago... Thinking of a great idea, I pulled out my phone to text Landon about the plan.

___

|Ryan Bradley > Lan – 9:12am|

Sent: Hey you're bringing Becca to the warehouse today right?

Received: Yeah. Why?

Sent: I was hoping you could keep here there a tiny bit longer than usual – and not go so hard on her...

Received: ...okay

Sent: I'm planning a surprise for her but I'll still be there to pick her up after practice. Just give me like an extra fifteen to shower and setup.

___

Landon didn't answer again but I knew he would pull through... I'm actually excited about this plan. I texted Alex as well so he would have a heads up and could find a ride home from his practice which he didn't mind doing at all.

---

The next time I saw Becca again was lunch period as she slowly made her way towards our table with Landon at her side.

"Hey beautiful, how's your day going?" She didn't give a verbal response but smiled and sat down extra close to me, so close that our legs, hips, and arms were touching. I threw an arm around her and gave her a side hug. "Becs, I thought you would be excited to be back at home... would you feel more comfortable staying at Kate's for awhile? Her parents will be out of town until Wednesday next week."

"No," she whispered and started eating lunch. "I like being back at your house, I'm just scared a little bit." Her face flushed and she seemed embarrassed. Everyone at the lunch table caught on and started their own conversations instead of staring at her with concern etched across their faces.

"Becs, you don't have to be embarrassed... or scared. All of these people around the table love you okay? I love you, so much more than you could ever imagine, and I'll always keep you safe."

She leaned into me and sighed. "I know. I love you too."

She didn't talk much the rest of the lunch period or during biology. I could literally feel her sadness in myself and it was killing me. I better really knock this surprise out of the park so I could make her happy.

REBECCA'S POV

The day felt like it went by in a blur; I wasn't paying attention in class even though I couldn't afford not to. I wasn't engaging in conversation with anybody even though they desperately tried to get me out of my slump. Even Ryan couldn't make me shake this crappy mood...