Prologue

A flash of bright light appeared in the heavens, as if lightning had danced across it. The light flashed across the sky and a man appeared on the doorstep of the ancient city that dwelt high above the heavens, the holy city of Phenac. Pure white clouds swayed below the city and the radiance of the sun was far below him, shining down on the world of Cubarlos. The man walked forward, passing through the ancient walls with inscriptions in the Old Language, his face resolute and unreadable. He passed by the corridor that led him into the city of Phenac, ignoring the noise of ignorant bliss coming from it. He stepped up onto a portal and bright green and white magic swirled around him, his body fading in the light. He warped up to the council’s room, high above the city itself, where no Niravarnian could hope to fly to on their own. He opened his eyes as the transfer succeeded, and five chairs stood facing him, each filled with its proper Chairman. Darkness hung over the five chairs, shielding the faces of the beings that sat in them. Eerie moonlight shined lightly down upon the center of the room. He walked forward and stood in the middle of the room, his eyes glaring at each of the chairs in turn. A chuckle sounded, breaking the chain of silence.

“You’re early,” a scaly voice whispered. “What brings you back?”

“The perfect vessel,” the man answered, facing the chair at the head of the room, his eyes glinting from the moonlit room. “She’s been born.”

“I was just about to give up on the humans,” another voice called out, irritation sparking it. “So? Fetch the human and bring her here.”

“No,” the scaly voice answered and all fell silent. “The journey that all must take, she must take as well. Let her body grow, which will allow the power to grow within her. Only when she is fully grown at the age of 17, can she become the vessel.”

“It ain’t that easy, ya know,” a voice yelled out. “She’ll die like the rest of them if we don’t intervene now. Allowing the humans to nurture her? To hell with that!”

“Shut up, Genji!” the voice called out and Genji growled. “Aren’t you forgetting the important part of the vessels development? Instead of spluttering nonsense, use your own damn head.”

“Eh?! You wanna go, Hibiki?” Genji threatened.

“Silence you two,” the scaly voice whispered and they fell silent once again. The figure stood up and the man fell to one knee, kneeling before his master. He looked up, his eyes not wavering from the gaze of the head Chairman.

“There’s something else,” he said, no emotion playing on his voice. The Chairman cocked his head to the side, clearly interested. “She was born with a twin.”

“A twin,” the Chairman said, his head bowing in deep thought. He looked up, his pure silver eyes shining in the darkness that cloaked him, unable to see the rest of his face. “Discard the twin; she is not needed. She will only hinder the vessel and we cannot have that. For if we are to awaken the Goddess, we need that vessel without distractions.”

“Discard…the child?” the man asked as he closed his eyes. “What will become of her?”

“It matters not,” the Chairman said as he sat down, staring down the man in the middle of the room. “Twins, eh?” The Chairman leaned his head against his hand, seeming amused with the situation. “Go down and guide the vessel. Make sure she does not stray from her path. If the twin becomes a problem, then we will dispose of her. For now, I will allow her to live. Discard of her somewhere and let nature take its course. I myself will not lay a hand on her, for now. However, should the situation arise that the vessel learns of her twin, our plan will be for nothing.”

“Understood,” the man said as he stood. Large angelic wings spread from his back as he looked on the Chairman. He bowed low and turned to the portal to return to Cubarlos.

“Fumito,” the Chairman said. The man looked over his shoulder as the man to the right of the Chairman answered.

“Sir?”

“Should the situation arise, I want the twin in our custody. Use the Four Faerie Cardinals as you see fit.”

The man stepped onto the portal and vanished, only to appear on the doorstep of the city. He did not wish to hear what the Four Faerie Cardinals would do if the twin got in the way. Tucking his wings, he leapt from the ramp and fell, feeling the wind smash into his face and felt the weight of gravity pulling him down. At the last second he expanded his wings and soared through the sky towards the town of Arendalle. Landing just outside the city in a forest, his wings disappeared. He walked towards an old oak, where deep inside the trunk were his locked away items. Attaching his sword back onto his belt, he strutted forward and slunk into the shadows of the town. From the darkness of the shadows he watched as the town celebrated the birth of the twins. Displeased with his orders, the man reluctantly passed through the town unseen as the shadows covered him. Slipping through the upper window, the man looked down at the two girls who laid side by side, holding hands in their sleep. One had bright silver hair while the other had blonde. He raised his hand and hovered it over them, waiting for the sign. As he let his hand travel over the silver haired infant, the markings on his hand, invisible at first, burst forward and shined in the darkness of the room.

“Seems you are the unlucky one,” the man says as he picks up the blonde headed infant, separating their grasp. Escaping from the house, the man took the child out into the forest and abandoned it there. If that child was the sister of the vessel, then surely it would survive. Thinking this, the man gritted his teeth together. After all, one was an angel. Surely that made the other a devil, a phantom of a curse that would ruin Niravarnia’s plan. The man looked over his shoulder at the infant, who began to cry out desperately for her mother. He felt bad, leaving the baby like that but his orders were absolute. Shaking his head, the man headed towards a small guild where he could find work, patiently waiting for his time to take the lead in the vessels journey.