Chapter Thirty-Five

“It's time,” Yuuna said as they all got up from their sleep. The night sky was shrouded in stars, not a single cloud in the sky. Yuuki was already on her feet, her arms crossed as she looked up at the foreboding night sky. The wind gently ruffled her hair as she closed her eyes, the end finally nearing.

“About 45 minutes before midnight,” she said as she opened her eyes and looked at them.

“We're ready,” Megumi said confidently.

“It's time to kick some Niravarnian ass,” Daichi said. Yamato chuckled at Daichi’s enthusiasm and rolled his eyes.

“Remember, we have to take out the other three Cardinals before we have a shot at taking down Fumito,” Yuuki said as she eyed them. She could tell they were nervous. Going up against the Cardinals wasn’t going to be an easy task. Yuuki kept her expression neutral, but she was in chaos on the inside. They aren’t ready.

“Team up then,” Yuuna suggested. “That way they can't pick us apart so easily. We have to have each other's back up there or we will fail.”

“If we are doing teams, then we'll go with strengths,” Yuuki said as she turned to them, putting aside the thought for now. She would think of something later. “Yamato and Megumi, Daichi and Katsu, and Yuuna and me.”

“Those are the teams?” Katsu asked.

“They are the best fits,” Yuuki said reassuringly. “Now, we have to make it into Phenac before Fumito catches on that we are there. Once we make it into Phenac, we'll head up to Cardinals alley. They'll be near the Chairman's room. That's where we'll split up.”

“Do you think this plan will actually work?” Yuuna asked and Yamato snorted.

“No,” he said. “Once we get there, all hell will break loose. It won't be so organized.”

“We'll have to be ready for anything,” Megumi warned. Yuuki rolled her eyes as she spread her wings, Yamato and Yuuna following in suit. Katsu made his gravity lighter and picked up Daichi as Yuuna picked up Megumi. Yuuki took off into the sky with Yamato beside her. They flew beyond the clouds and kept soaring higher. They flapped their wings viciously to get past the violent wind currents as they rose. The ground was no longer visible underneath them and Yuuki smiled as the city of Phenac came into view. She slowed her pace and gently landed on one of the platforms. She looked over her shoulder see that they all had landed safely. Yuuna walked up beside Yuuki and looked at her. Yuuki returned her gaze and they nodded to each other. Stealthily they walked up the walkway, carefully keeping an eye on either side of them. The last thing they needed was a surprise attack. Yuuki walked into a small, covered hallway and peered over the side of the wall. She growled with irritation at the sight of Niravarnian guards. She backed up into the shadows as the rest hid behind the wall. She created a dark orb in her hands and then shot it at the guards.

“Dark Lance,” she whispered as the beams sped towards the guards. The energy rammed down their throats and disintegrated them on the spot. Yuuki ran out of their hiding place and opened the gate leading into the city, avoiding the new skeletons that decorated the path. She beckoned over to her group and they ran out of the shadows and past the gate. Their eyes widened at the large city, whose buildings were made out of platinum silver and the streets were a polished marble.

“They live a hard life,” Daichi grumbled as they took in the view. Everything looked fake; the trees were a dark shade of green and the grass an even deeper shade. The Niravarnians floated around, completely enveloped in ignorant bliss.

“This won't matter,” Yuuki replied as she chose a darker path to go down. She looked over her shoulder. “We have to take out the Cardinals, which in turn will lead to the destruction of the city. Fantasying over the city is something we don't have time for.” Daichi muttered under his breath as they followed Yuuki down the path. They came to an intersecting room that had several paths leading in opposite directions. Yuuki turned to them. “This is where we split.”