Chapter Two

“This place looks freaky,” Daichi said as he looked around the empty chapel. Dust and cobwebs lingered everywhere and Yuuna scrunched up her nose from the musty smell. Daichi looked over at her. “I thought you’ve been in here before? Why is it like this?”

“Beats me,” Yuuna said shrugging.

“So where are we supposed to go for this oracle thing?” Daichi said as he sighed.

“I would assume the top floor, since that is where the light is,” Yamato said. “Shouldn’t that be obvious?”

“I really don’t like him,” Daichi said as Yamato led the way. Katsu laughed.

“You just don’t use your head, that’s all,” Katsu said jokingly. Daichi hung his head pathetically. Yuuna was walking in between Yamato and Daichi, basically trying her best to keep them separated. Yamato suddenly came to a stop and Yuuna ran into him and fell to the floor with a plop.

“There are monsters ahead,” Yamato said, paying no heed to Yuuna who regained her footing. Yuuna guessed that he didn’t notice that she had fallen and was silently thankful for that.

“Monsters?” Katsu said uneasily. “Why are there monsters?”

“Part of the trial, I would assume,” Yamato said as he unsheathed his sword.

“I’m supposed to undergo a trial before accepting the oracle. So it’ll be difficult reaching the top,” Yuuna said as she looked around.

“Let’s just slice them up then,” Daichi said walking forward. He looked over at Yuuna. “How much farther till we reach the top floor?”

“Um, it should be up a couple more levels,” Yuuna guessed and Katsu smiled.

“In other words, you’re guessing?”

“I’ve never been this far in,” Yuuna admitted sadly. Yamato sighed.

“At any rate, we’ll continue on this path,” Yamato said as he chose the middle passageway.

“Who made you leader?” Daichi growled and Yamato glanced over his shoulder.

“Who saved the Sylph’s life?” he retorted and continued walking. Yuuna thought steam was about to start coming out of Daichi’s ears his face was turning red from anger.

“You’re acting childish you know that?!” Daichi yelled as he followed. Yuuna and Katsu started to laugh and Daichi looked at them. “What?”

“You’re the one acting like a child, Daichi,” Yuuna said as she winked at him. “We just have to go along with it for now, so bear it, okay?” Yuuna walked past Daichi, who started to mutter under his breath. They eventually caught up to Yamato and small sounds were starting to come out from the area around them. Yuuna felt uneasy as she walked. Suddenly a ghoul looking monster jumped from the shadows and Yamato swung his sword upwards, cleaving the ghoul in two. It turned into black dust as it hit the ground.

“You might want to have your swords out, boy. If not, you’d be better off waiting at the entrance,” Yamato said as he walked on as if nothing happened.

“I don’t need you telling me what to do!” Daichi yelled and Yuuna smiled again as the tension between the two became lively again. Daichi did heed his advice though; his swords were out and at the ready and his eyes started to scan the shadows, expecting something else to jump out. A roar came from up ahead, causing all four of them to jump. “The hell was that?” Daichi said as his eyes widened. Katsu took a nervous step back.

“That sounded like…a golem.”

“What the hell is something like that doing in here?” Daichi said as he looked at Katsu with an expression of confusion.