Chapter Thirty-Nine

Daichi and Katsu ran up the path they had chosen, each filled with questions about the mark on their hands. They came to the middle of the room and Daichi came to a halt when he saw Megumi and Yamato coming up their side as well. Relief washed over him when he saw that they seemed to be unharmed. Katsu narrowed his eyes a bit when he saw bright red scars on Megumi's arms.

“You guys are okay!” Daichi exclaimed and Megumi smiled weakly at him.

“We managed,” Megumi answered, Yamato walking straight up to Daichi.

“Be honest with me,” Yamato said grimly and Daichi stared at his pained expression. “You were losing weren't you?”

Daichi and Katsu said nothing as Yamato and Megumi continued to stare at them. Finally Daichi lowered his head, his eyes downcast.

“Yeah, we were losing badly,” he whispered. He looked up at Yamato. “What about you?”

“We'd be dead if it weren't for this.” Megumi held up her hand, the black winged mark still present. Katsu heaved a sigh.

“Us too,” he replied solemnly. Megumi looked at him.

“Tell me, did your marks light up?”

“Yeah they did," Daichi answered. “Part of the light attacked Genji and then the rest healed our wounds. Well, most of them. It was enough for us to counter attack.”

“What did Genji say?” Megumi asked, her voice sounding rushed. Daichi raised an eyebrow at her.

“He said something about Yuuki, although it was unclear of what he was meaning,” Daichi replied. Megumi stared at them for a moment as she thought of something. “Did something similar happen to you?” Daichi asked.

“Yeah, we were inches from death,” Yamato said as Megumi stood by, mulling over something. “Our lights attacked Kaname and healed our wounds to an extent. It would seem Yuuki knew we weren't ready.”

“We ran out of time though,” Katsu said. "The only person we can blame is ourselves."

“I know that,” Yamato growled. “Still, Kaname gave more information on Yuuki than it seems Genji did.”

“What did he say?” Katsu asked and Megumi spoke up.

“He said to ask the own who gave us our marks.” Megumi looked at each of them. “I have a feeling I know what he meant. If I'm right, Yuuki is in danger. We have to find both Yuuna and Yuuki quickly.” Daichi walked around Megumi and looked down the path they had taken.

“They should be back by now,” he pointed out as he stared down the path.

“Then it means they went on ahead,” Katsu said. “I can see Yuuki going on ahead. She promised we would come back so she probably wasn't worried, especially since she gave us these.” They all nodded to each other and bolted up the path towards Fumito's room. As they neared the doors, they noticed the doors had been broken down. They ran into the doorway just in time to see Yuuki stand up and gently lay Yuuna on the ground. Daichi's eyes widened at the condition of her body. Her body was a bloody pulp, a large wound scaling her side and her face was extremely pale. His eyes drifted to Yuuna and saw that her body was untouched except for a small scar that circled her neck.

“I made no such promise to myself.” They watched as Yuuki expanded her wings and launched at Fumito, dodging his bronze sword and hauling him up to the glass dome. It shattered on impact and they vanished from sight. Glass shards fell to the ground and light shined into the room.

“Yuuki!” Daichi yelled as he ran forward.

“Daichi wait!” Katsu called and he froze. Daichi narrowed his eyes.