Chapter Forty

Yuuna’s tears were cascading down her face as she stared up at the sky. They tried to go back to aid Yuuki, but they found that all of their powers were gone. Yuuki had somehow sucked every bit they had. Yamato and Yuuna were now wingless. They were staring at the ground as the clock continued to tick, anxiety creeping up with every passing second. The ground started to shake violently and they looked to see the sky exploding, beautiful colors lighting up the sky. They knew what had been destroyed, but with an explosion that huge, they knew there was going to be no survivors. As they looked up at the sky, droplets of water hit their face. The rain was hot and sticky as it touched their skin.

Glancing around, they saw the rain was reviving dead plants and they watched as the world around them seemed to gleam with life again. The rain healed all of their wounds and scars, making them look as if they were newborns. The rain continued to pour as Yuuna and her group walked towards the town of Arendalle. People left the town and were dancing in the rain, happy and excited about what the world was now turning into. The only cloud of depression hung over Yuuna and her group. Yuuna looked sadly up at the sky as the explosion was still clear; fire and black clouds rolling over each other.

“She didn’t have to die,” she whispered. Daichi put his arm around Yuuna. Not bearing it, Yuuna turned and cried into his chest. Daichi wrapped his arms around her as she bawled. He looked up into the reddened sky. I made no such promise to myself. Those words Yuuki had said when they entered the room; Daichi now understood what Yuuki had meant. She would give her own life to permanently end things.

“It’s painful to see everyone so happy,” Katsu murmured. “They had no idea what price had to be paid for this.”

“Why did Yuuki have to die?!” Yuuna shouted as she shoved Daichi back, her tears streaming down her face and her eyes narrowed in anger. “Yuuki wasn’t supposed to die! That’s my job to go and die for the world.”

“This is what Yuuki wanted,” Megumi said calmly and sadly. “We didn’t have a choice in the end but to go along with her wishes.”

“She transported us back her to save our lives,” Yamato said, trying to soothe their sadness. He held out his hand to catch some of the rain. “She even took the Spirits to end things.”

“The spirits didn’t die too, right?” Katsu asked sadly and Megumi shook her head.

“I cannot say if they did or…not…” Megumi suddenly looked up at them, a quizzical expression on her face. Daichi looked at her as he raised an eyebrow.

“Professor?”

“I don’t believe it,” she breathed as she covered her mouth with her hand. She ran over to Yuuna. “Let me see your crest!” Yuuna pulled her shirt down and her mouth dropped open.

“It’s gone,” she whispered. Megumi stared wide-eyed at Yuuna’s neck as she stared at the empty space. Yuuna cocked her head as she wiped her eyes. “Professor?”

“I think…Yuuki took your place,” Megumi breathed as she backed up, her hands covering her mouth as tears lined the bottom of her eyes. “Yuuki took your place as Sylph.”

“How?!” Yuuna shouted. “That’s impossible.”

“It doesn’t make sense,” Yamato said as he agreed with Yuuna. Daichi walked over and looked at them with a serious expression.

“Remember what Yuuki said? That we would be the ones to come back? She said she made no promise to herself.”

“So Yuuki took on the role of the sacrifice?” Katsu said as his voice cracked. They stood in silence as the rain continued to fall. Yuuna couldn’t believe it. After everything, she wouldn’t be able to be with Yuuki in the end. The rain finally ceased and they observed the new landscapes, flush with life and promise. They could feel it in the air too; the world was clean and healthy again.