Chapter Sixteen

Yuuna stood on the hill that overlooked the forest that was shrouded with fog, an uneasy feeling welling up inside of her. She watched as Takuma dismounted the Valekin, gripping the reins in his hands.

“I suggest we make camp before entering there,” he said as he patted the Valekin’s side. “You don’t want to get caught in there after dark.”

“The Cerberus?” Yamato asked as he dismounted his. Takuma snorted a laugh, amused by the thought.

“I’ve only caught a glimpse of that beast,” Takuma said with a smile as Yuuna dismounted after Megumi. “That sucker is huge. But that’s not the only thing that’s in there. Goblins, Trolls and I have seen a Manticore. Orc packs haven’t come around here because of the Manticore.”

“A Manticore and a Cerberus living that close together?” Katsu said as he thought about it. “That seems impossible.”

“Nothing is impossible in that fog,” Takuma said bitterly and Yuuna caught on to a hint of sadness in his voice.

“Goblins come out at night, Trolls are slow and stupid, so all we need to worry about is the Manticore and the Cerberus,” Daichi said as he set his pack on the ground. “It’ll be a piece of cake.”

“Wow, Daichi,” Katsu said with a mischievous grin. “I’m surprised you remembered that stuff!” Daichi threw his shoe at Katsu, nailing him in the stomach. Yamato grinned as Katsu grunted from the impact.

“Now, Katsu, you know it’s not very nice to mess with mentally challenged individuals,” Yamato said with a sneer and Daichi glared at him. “Let him bask in his glory moment for remembering the obvious.”

“Bastard, want to go you worthless two-bit hack?” Daichi growled threateningly and Yamato grinned darkly at him, his eyebrow twitching with irritation.

“Aren’t you one to talk? A beast without brains,” Yamato said nonchalantly and Daichi narrowed his eyes. Megumi tightened her fists and walked over them. She hit all three of them over the head, her fist shaking.

“That’s enough,” she said sternly as they held their heads. Yuuna smiled as Takuma chuckled.

“She’s a dangerous one,” Takuma said as he put his hand to his chin.

“She can be,” Yuuna agreed as Megumi started yelling at Yamato, who was angry he had gotten hit too. “No one messes with the Professor.” Takuma walked over and put his arm around Yuuna’s shoulders, his face edging closer to hers.

“Well, while they argue, shall we proceed with setting up camp?”

Takuma’s arm suddenly vanished from Yuuna’s shoulders and she looked over to see Daichi and Yamato had thrown Takuma off, ignoring Megumi’s continuous rants. They glared daggers at him as he smiled arrogantly back at them.

“Now that I have your attention, you two should set up camp quickly before the sun sets.” Yuuna smiled as she heard growls coming from Daichi and Yamato and she covered her mouth with her hand to conceal her laughter. Yuuna watched as they slowly made a campfire and pallets were laid out in a circle around it. She smiled gently at the scene as Daichi and Katsu laughed, Megumi and Yamato talking about strategies and Takuma sitting on his pallet. I wish it could always be like this, Yuuna thought as she closed her eyes, her hand trailing up to her crest, where the fiery Incarther’s Stone rested embedded in her chest. She opened her eyes and looked up over to the foggy forest, her heart tightening with anticipation. Her eyes widened when she remembered that Yuuki was already in the area, and would possibly reach the shrine before her. The next time we meet, you can expect a greater battle than the Fragonia. Yuuki’s words rang through Yuuna’s head and she clenched her hands into fists. In all honesty, Yuuna didn’t want to fight Yuuki at all. Yuuna didn’t realize it at first, but her instinct as a big sister was starting to come into play and she didn’t want to see Yuuki hurt.