Chapter Twenty

Yuuna stared at the waterfall that was coming down on top of the altar, big blue eyes glaring at them from within. The beast took a step out of it, planting its foot firmly on the ground. The beast eventually emerged from the water, extending to its full height. The beast was dragon-like with bright white scales and had blue markings above the eyes and a large blue horn on top of its head. Icicles served as spears on its back and instead of arms it had large white wings. Its fangs were little but the claws on the feet made up for that. They were long and bright yellow and the tail swerved around the body, icicles attached to the tail. The beast roared again and Yuuna put her hands over her ears again.

“Professor, what the hell is that?!” Daichi shouted over the wail as he firmly pressed his hands over his ears. The beast whipped its head back and forth and then lunged at them, snapping its jaws together. Yuuna and her group dispersed, sending the beast crashing into the floor.

“It’s a Lugcarion,” Megumi said as she slid to a stop. Yuuna looked at the beast and watched as its eyes found her. It flapped its wings, sending gusts of wind at Yuuna and she yelped as she started sliding back. Its head lunged forward as soon as Yuuna was knocked off balance and Yamato swung his sword just in time to stop the monsters teeth from crushing Yuuna. Yuuna recovered and Yamato used his whole body weight to throw the monster off.

“Stay focused, Yuuna,” Yamato said as he held up his sword in defense as the Lugcarion caught itself and roared at Yuuna. Why? Yuuna thought as she narrowed her eyes at the beast at Yamato and Daichi ran forward to attack it, with Takuma taking the rear. The guardians at the other temples were not as big, nor were they as strong. Just a flap of its wings was enough to push me back. Yuuna squinted her eyes and saw that none of Daichi’s or Yamato’s attacks were doing any damage. Instead, they were just clinking against the armor of the beast. Yuuna formed a white spear in her hand and charged in as well. Swinging the lance, it ricocheted off of the armor and knocked Yuuna back a couple of steps. Yuuna gritted her teeth together when the Lugcarion made some type of gurgling noise, like it was making fun of her. Its tail whipped around and caught Yuuna in the stomach, sending her crashing into the nearby wall.

“Yuuna!” Daichi yelled as he parried off the beasts claws. This is impossible, Yuuna thought as she got back to her feet. Unforgiveable, a voice cried out in Yuuna’s head and she was taken aback by it. The voice sounded lonely and she continued to watch the battle, she understood. The desire to live, Yuuna thought as she released a fraction of her energy, letting the white light swirl around her. She opened her eyes, her pupils lined with a white light, and she saw the magical veil that was protecting the Lugcarion. Creating a bright white bow, Yuuna created an arrow and lined it up, taking careful aim at it. She released it, and the arrow pierced the veil, shattering it into a thousand pieces.

“Now!” Yuuna shouted as she created another spear. Katsu, Daichi, Yamato, and Takuma attacked, casting magic and slicing the armor to pieces. Yuuna spread her wings and launched into the air, hoping to stick her spear into the head of the monster. Angry that its barrier had been shattered, the Lugcarion spread its wings and took off after Yuuna. Yuuna flew upwards and could feel the wind on her heels of the Lugcarion’s jaws snapping at her. Knowing how little room this beast had to fly around, Yuuna took quick and sharp turns, causing the beast to get hung up in certain areas of the seal. Turning her spear into a large white sword, Yuuna lunged for the Lugcarion’s head and plunged her sword straight through. Blue blood splattered all over Yuuna’s front side as she dug her sword more into the neck. The Lugcarion screamed and writhed around in agony and one of its claws found Yuuna, creating a large gash on her right cheek. Yuuna flinched back as blood began to clot around her eye as she fell down to the ground with the Lugcarion. Crashing into the ground the Lugcarion erupted into blue flames, leaving nothing but ashes and blood dripping from Yuuna’s face. She looked down at her leg and noticed her foot was twisted backwards due to her ungraceful landing. She felt the pain rocketing up her leg but she chose to ignore it as Daichi came rushing over.