Chapter One

A young girl ran through the streets, weaving in and out of people as she made her way to the schoolhouse to the far end of the village. She was late, again, and she knew her professor would not forgive her tardiness again. Her short silver hair bobbed elegantly behind her as she ran, her breath coming in gasps as she pushed herself to run faster. She burst through the front door and entered the classroom to the right.

“Professor I’m—“her sentence cut off as her foot caught the end of the step and sent her skidding face first into the classroom. Her classmates erupted with laughter and the professor sighed exaggeratedly as the girl picked herself up.

“Yuuna, Yuuna, Yuuna,” the professor said shaking her head as she walked over and stared down at her. Yuuna looked up and her eyes widened. Scary!! Yuuna thought as she hid her face again.

“I’m sorry,” Yuuna said as she regained her footing and dusted off her clothes. She looked up into the professors blue eyes that were narrowed with irritation. “I took a wrong turn,” Yuuna said quietly as she rubbed the back of her head with embarrassment. The professor just shook her head.

“Hurry over to your seat,” she said calmly as a small smile broke across her lips. Yuuna quickly made her way over and sat on her stool, putting her head in her hands. She glanced over and saw her friend face down on the table, snoring. His brown hair was spiked up in the front and Yuuna smiled gently at him.

“Daichi, you better wake up before Professor Megumi gets you,” she whispered as she poked his shoulder.

“DAICHI!” A small eraser was thrown with bullet speed across the room, nailing Daichi straight in the head. Daichi jumped up and glared at Professor Megumi, rubbing his head.

“The hell was that for?” he shouted and the class started laughing.

“Pay attention when someone is talking!” Megumi shouted back and Yuuna started laughing.

“Don’t be sour, Daichi. You shouldn’t be sleeping anyway. You know how she gets with lectures,” Yuuna said as Daichi sat down growling. His scowl disappeared when he noticed her.

“When did you get here?” he asked raising his eyebrows.

“Um, not too long ago,” Yuuna confessed and Daichi laughed.

“Late again, huh?” He said as he folded his arms behind his head. “What was it this time? Another lost cat?”

“No, just a wrong turn,” Yuuna said with a small laugh and Daichi sighed.

“You and your sense of direction,” Daichi mumbled. “Do you even know left from right?”

Yuuna held up her hands and observed them. “I do when I use my hands!”

“You’re hopeless,” Daichi said with a smile as he shook his head. Yuuna turned her head towards the front as the smile on her face widened.

“Today is the day of prophecy, in which the Sylph will be granted access by Niravarnia to partake of the quest assigned. Yuuna, can you please explain the process of this?”

“Sure, Professor,” Yuuna said as she stood up. “Once the blessing comes down from Niravarnia, the Sylph journeys to the ancient temples to awaken the power of the Goddess that sleeps within the walls. The guardians awaken and life is restored.”

“I suppose we would expect the Sylph herself to know the answer to that one,” Megumi said with a smirk. Yuuna sat back down and glanced over at Daichi.

“You made that up,” Daichi whispered with a sarcastic smile as Megumi began to lecture again.

“Not exactly, I just don’t remember the main parts of it,” Yuuna confessed and Daichi rolled his eyes. A sudden flash of brilliant light blinded the room and gasps of surprise rose up from the students. Yuuna looked outside the window, her eyes wide.