Chapter Twenty-Two

Daichi sat by the fire as he looked into the night, his eyes carefully searching for any type of danger. He was especially looking out for Yuuki, whose rage could end up attacking them at any point in time. Daichi did feel an ounce of sympathy for her though. She had lost an important friend because they had demanded that Yuuki tell them the truth of Yuuna’s journey. Not only did Yuuki tell them but in the end it resulted in Yuuki losing something precious to her. I don’t know what the truth is anymore, Daichi thought bitterly as he looked over at Yuuna, whose eyes were closed. He knew she wasn’t sleeping and it bothered him. Daichi sighed heavily, wondering what awaited them at the end of their journey. Was it going to be peace, like he had been taught all his life? Or was it going to be the doom and destruction Yuuki was talking about. This world was never intended to be saved. What Yuuki said kept finding its way back into Daichi’s head and he was confused on what he should believe. Yuuki must have her pretty good reasons to be following Yuuna like she has been, Daichi thought as he picked up a stick and poked the fire with it, sending up small sparks. The one thing he didn’t want to see was Yuuki and Yuuna killing each other over different beliefs of what they thought is right. He looked over and saw Yamato sitting up and he cocked his head to his side. What’s Yamato doing up? Daichi wondered as he quietly stood up and walked over there.

“Hey,” Daichi said as he sat down next to Yamato and Yamato looked over at him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be keeping watch?” Yamato said with a snort. Daichi narrowed his eyes.

“Aren’t you supposed to be sleeping?” Daichi said irritably and Yamato chuckled. Daichi looked at him and noticed he seemed to be troubled. “What’s keeping you up?”

“The fact that Yuuna is losing her humanity,” Yamato whispered as he glanced over his shoulder at the peaceful looking Yuuna. Daichi followed his gaze and his expression deepened. Yuuna’s battle wounds from when she fought Yuuki had already healed completely, and her foot was no longer disabled.

“I suppose I was kinda shocked to find out about it,” Daichi admitted quietly.

“Shocked is an understatement,” Yamato said as he pulled out a small coin and stared at it. Daichi looked at the coin as it reflected the fires light from behind him. “I never knew about this part,” Yamato said angrily as he tightened his hand into a fist, gripping the coin in it. “If I had, I wouldn’t have offered. No one deserves to have their humanity taken from them.”

“I can actually agree with you on something,” Daichi said. “Yuuna has been suffering alone because she didn’t want to burden us with the truth.”

“In the same way, Yuuki has also been suffering,” Yamato said quietly. “She doesn’t get a say in it. When Yuuna releases a seal, it automatically happens to Yuuki. They are connected by the cruel strings of fate.”

“That has to mean something though,” Daichi said as his eyes fell to the ground. “Why are they connected?”

“That’s an answer we are probably not supposed to know,” Yamato answered as he flipped the coin in his hand and then threw it as hard as he could into the darkness. Daichi raised an eyebrow.

“What was that for? Wasn’t that important to you?”

“It was,” Yamato answered as he laid back on his back, folding his hands behind his head. “Now I have no intention of fulfilling the duty that coin served.” Daichi looked into the direction the coin was thrown and then looked back down at Yamato. His eyes were closed and Daichi sighed. Whatever purpose that coin served, it was now of no importance to Yamato.

*****

Genji hovered over the Sylph’s camp and his eyebrow was twitching with anger. He saw Yamato throw the coin away. He snorted in disgust and took off, flying towards the base of the mountains, about a day’s journey from where the Sylph was. He landed heavily on his feet and looked up at Fumito who was sitting calmly on a rock, leaning his head back.

“It seems Yamato has no more interest in his mission,” Genji reported and Fumito opened his eyes.

“Our little Yuuki is becoming quite the pest,” he muttered as he leaned his head back up. “Learning the conditions Yuuna has to go through must be taking a toll on him. How interesting.”

“That boy that’s with them too,” Genji said as a dark smile played on his lips. “I finally recognized him.”

“Is he of importance to you?” Fumito said with a sly grin.

“He’s the child of those parents I murdered years back,” Genji said with a smirk. “I was wondering why he looked so damn familiar. He looks like his father.” Genji lifted up his shirt to expose his torso, a large scar covering his abs. “I wouldn’t forget the human who could injure me so.”

“So now you’ve developed another interest,” Fumito said shaking his head. “You can kill the boy when Yuuna reaches the Tower.” Genji smiled as Fumito stood up. “As for Yuuki, her power is beyond Yuuna’s. I plan on using her in the near future. Once Yuuna releases this last guardian, I want you and Hibiki to take Yuuki into our custody.”

“Has the Chairman ordered that?” Genji said as he clicked his tongue.

“Not yet,” Fumito said with a devious grin. “But the Chairman isn’t down here to see what I’m seeing. Yuuki will no doubt try one more attempt to stop Yuuna, even after I warned her thoroughly. I plan on using her in another matter.” Genji froze and looked up at Fumito, his eyes glittering in the moonlight.

“You mean…” Genji said as his eyes sparkled with excitement.

“Precisely,” Fumito said maliciously. “Yuuna is just the tool to use for the weapon I’ve developed. Yuuki is the one I need alive.”

“So after Yuuna releases the guardians, we won’t need her anymore, eh?” Genji said as he rubbed his chin. “I like it.”

“For now, keep Yuuki thinking that the actual target is Yuuna. Once we have both of them, dispose of their comrades.”

“What of our initial plan?” Genji asked as he cocked his head to the side.

“Carry it out as planned,” Fumito said. “We need Yuuna and Yuuki to be at odds with each other. Kill the man and let the rest fall into place. Afterwards, we’ll provide a direct route to the Tower of Souls. That way we won’t have to wait much longer. Let Kaname and Hibiki know as well. Yuuki is the one we need alive.”

“As you wish my lord,” Genji said with a bow. Fumito looked up the mountain that was right underneath the temple. That cruel, dark smile appeared on his lips as his plan was falling into place. Yuuna and Yuuki, two sides of the same coin with the same troubling fate; one will live, and the other will die. Fumito looked over his shoulder and saw Genji take off into the air and he looked down at his hand before tightening it into a fist. The fun is just beginning, Fumito thought as he looked back up at the mountains. I’m waiting for you, Yuuki. Come at me with everything you’ve got. After all, you don’t have long.

Sorry it was such a short chapter but it is actually important! What future awaits our twin sisters now that Fumito has decided to switch objectives? Hope this is keeping you interested :) Thanks for reading! Please continue to comment and vote! I love reading the comments and seeing what you guys think!