Ep. 18 "Mean Girls"

A/N

Y'all aren't ready. Just saying...

************

FADE IN:

Monroe looks happier than she's ever been and her phone is nowhere in sight as she waits for a question.

PRODUCER: You look awfully excited, Monroe. What's going on?

MONROE: I think you know. I mean, you're the one who told us.

PRODUCER: I'm aware of that but this is for the viewers at home.

MONROE: (sighs heavily) Daveed is taking us on individual dates so we can get to know each other and I'm going first. I'm super excited and I hope Daveed can see the good in me since we'll be alone. I don't think we've really connected yet and I have some tricks that'll definitely make him take interest in me.

[Date Cam]

Daveed holds the door open and Monroe walks inside the restaurant with a smug smile. "You picked a cute place," she says, admiring the cozy decor.

"Yeah. Steph and I would come here all the time," Daveed replies, leading her to a table in the back.

A twinge of disappointment tugs at Monroe's heart but she dismisses it as quick as possible. Daveed pulls out the chair and she takes a seat.

"How are you tonight?" he asks, flipping through the menu.

"I'm good. You?"

"Fantastic." He almost sounds sarcastic.

If that wasn't disheartening, Daveed hadn't said anything about the outfit that she'd worked so diligently to style. This wasn't going how she planned.

"So what did you do before you came onto the show?" Daveed inquires.

"I run the social media pages for my friend's little business. That's why I'm always on my phone," Monroe explains as she puts her phone in her purse. Her notifications were going ballistic, per usual.

"Oh, that's cool. I'm sure you do a good job at that."

"Yeah..."

Awkward silence.

Why is this so hard?

***

You were going to curl up and hide in your room to hopefully avoid Albany but you're a force to be reckoned with now and people like you don't hide from anyone.

You take Soccer to the media room and search for a movie to watch, secretly hoping Albany walks in so you can sass her.

You decide to watch Mean Girls. You could definitely use a laugh right now.

After popping open a bottle of red wine and dashing salt on your oversized bowl of popcorn, you're finally ready to watch the movie. Soccer curls up next to you in a heartbeat.

He probably thinks I'm Stephanie.

Just as you guessed, Albany walks in and sits right next to you with no regrets. The movie hasn't even been on for thirty minutes.

"What are you watching?" she asks.

You glance at her and crunch on a handful of popcorn.