Chapter 1- Jar of Hearts

The heavy weight of the plastic bin bag Simon was carrying had started to really hurt his back and neck as he struggled to move the last few yards over to the familiar area of the dumpsters around the corner of his flat. He slumped back down against the brick wall once he had lifted the heavy lid of the dumpster and had lobbed the bin bag over his head as hard as he could, ensuring the rubbish stayed in the metal container and he wouldn't have to look at it ever again. Well, until next week.

It wasn't until Simon had finally sat down and stopped had he realised that he was struggling to regain his breath and had felt headache begin to form. Simon didn't feel well, and was worried as to making his way back home before dark. Simon didn't live far, only around the corner, but all the energy had just about been stolen from his body and Simon struggled with the pressure of making sure that not only himself but everyone else was okay, because at the end of the day, everything came down to Simon.

Simon's decisions, Simon's words, Simon's trust and Simon's responsibility.

Simon had no recollection of the time, and for a second didn't know where he was as he closed his eyes and tipped his head back harder than imagined onto the brick wall behind him and felt a tear roll down his face.

Suddenly embarrassed of the idea of any passers by seeing him in this state, Simon made an effort to move himself behind one of the dumpsters. Despite the smell, Simon strangely like it here and began to close his eyes to try and force himself to calm down when he noticed a dark skinned boy enter a games shop next to the alleyway he had lamely hidden in. With tears still streaming down Simon's face, he dared himself to take a closer look at the brightly coloured games shop across from him as the stranger entered, an eager smile passing the boys face.

Simon always had had a passion for gaming, even though his parents were too poor to afford him his own Xbox or PlayStation, but Simon marvelled at the idea of being able to play video games, on his very only gaming set. There's nothing that Simon wished for more in life, than to be able to play video games until he turned grey.

Simon's thoughts were spiralling out of control- he barely knew where he was; and his continuous headache only made things worse for himself. But Simon knew one thing for sure; he wanted to follow that boy into the games shop.

Simon's curiosity got the better of him, and for the first time in his life, Simon rebelled against his mother's instructions and did what he wanted- he followed the boy into the shop.