Chapter 8

"Welcome home, Dipstick." Mabel smiled slightly, as he entered Gleeful Manor.

"Thanks Mabes." He didn't smile like she did. He hadn't smiled in forever, or that was Mabel's interpretation of it. "I'll admit, I missed this house."

Dipper had only been in the hospital for the night and almost all day yesterday, Mabel knew that he shouldn't have stayed that long, but she would have felt more comfortable if he stayed at the hospital one more night. Mabel knew that Dipper would laugh if she told him that she was actually worried about him, and then he'd realize that she wasn't kidding around. "Yeah well we missed you around here."

"Mabel, you were practically at the hospital with me twenty four seven." Dipper rolled his eyes, and smirked slightly.

Not entirely a smile, but Mabel would go for any smirk, grin, grin-smile Dipper had that made it actually look like he was happy. But Mabel knew that he was depressed about how little time he had left. She didn't even need to read his mind for that. "True, but mostly because I wanted to make sure you didn't die before our show tonight." Mabel lied, hoping he wouldn't see through her lie.

"That sounds like you." Dipper heaved a sigh, and headed upstairs to where the twins' rooms were.

Mabel wanted to follow him upstairs but she knew that he'd find out that something was up. She knew that she had to keep her distance.

I hope to God that he'll be alright.

Mabel glanced at the calendar. It was June. By the end of August her brother would be dead. So Mabel came up with a brilliant plan. She was going to spend each day making her brother have the best summer ever and not a one person would get in their way.

××××××××

~~~~~~~~~~

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬

“Summer, Where Do We Begin”