Chapter 11.5

Rory was upstairs in her grandparents' old bedroom, as it turned into the ladies' dressing area.  We were out in the pool house.  I had some great memories with Rory out here.  They all came flooding back.  It made me smile just thinking about it.

"Who wants a martini, children?" Finn said, shaker in hand.

"I'll take one," I responded, hoping it would calm my nerves.

The happy memories that flooded me a moment ago had been replaced by anxiety.  I had no reason to worry, but I was overwhelmed with the feeling that Rory was going to change her mind and back out of everything.  I realized I had a martini from Finn in my hand.  I drank it down in one swallow.  I went over to the drink cart that had been pre-loaded with an assortment of liquor.  I didn't want to mess around with mixing anything, so I poured myself a scotch neat.  I was just about to down it, when the drink was rudely removed from my hands.

"Whoa, what are you doing, man?" Colin asked, concerned about my sudden love affair with alcohol.

"Nothing.  Now, give me my scotch!" I replied, swiping it back, and drinking it before he could take it away a second time.  I attempted to pour myself another glass, but was blocked by Robert.

"Logan, you don't need to finish every bottle before the ceremony," he said as he stepped in front of the cart.

"Sorry, I'm just really nervous," I confessed.

"Why? It's Mother, and she loves you," Finn said.

"She could be plotting her escape as we speak.  Don't forget Lorelai knows every way in and out of that house," I replied.

"It's Rory, Logan.  She's not going to run.  When have you ever seen her run?" Colin reassured me.

"I know, but then why the hell am I so nervous?" I asked.

"It's a huge step.  You're getting married, but it's Rory.  You've been destined to be together since the day Finn tried to leave your number on her door," Colin reminded me.

"And she's a beautiful, intelligent woman who brings out the best in you," Mitchum said, surprising everyone.

When the hell did my dad come in?  However, he had a valid point.

"You are right, Dad.  She's made me a better person," I said.

"Can we talk for a minute, Logan?" he asked, quietly.

"Sure," I replied and led him to the bedroom for some privacy.

"Logan, I just wanted you to know that I'm very proud of you.  You've turned into a better person than I've ever been, and I have every confidence in the world that you'll do great taking over for me," he said.

Did my father just say he was proud of me?  I could hardly believe my ears.  He has never said that to me.  Maybe the heart attack really has changed my father for the better.

"And I wanted to add that I'm really happy you are marrying Rory and not Odette.  I never cared for her, and I'll admit I really grew to like Rory, despite objections from your grandfather and mother."

"You have no idea how much this means to me, Dad!"  I said, hugging him.  He actually hugged me back.  "I would like to talk to you about the possibility of working out of Hartford.  We haven't had much luck finding a place around NTC.  Yesterday, Emily and I discussed the prospect of living here.  While I haven't talked to Rory, I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to live in NYC either.  Once the baby comes, she's going to want to be closer to family."

"I think that's a fine idea, son.  I wouldn't mind having you closer to home to spend some time with my newest grandchild.  Let me know what we need to do to make that happen, after you talk to your new bride," he replied, smiling.  "I'm really happy for you, son."

"You keep this one in line, gentlemen," Mitchum said on his way out of the pool house.

The guys watched him walk away and laughed hysterically.

"The dark lord's gone soft, Logan," Finn said, still laughing.

"He knew who he was talking to, right?" Robert asked.

I looked at my watch, and the morning had flown by, as had part of the afternoon.  We hadn't even started getting ready for the ceremony.  I grabbed another glass of scotch.

"Guys, we should probably start getting ready.  I wouldn't want to be late for my own wedding," I said.

"First, a toast," Colin started.  "May you live a long and happy life with the always lovely, Rory!"

We raised our glasses and took a drink.  Each of us started getting ready.  About 15 minutes later, we were ready.  I took a deep breath and led the guys into the main house.  The air was crisp and cool, but refreshing.  The guys went into the entryway near the bottom of the stairs to meet the bridesmaids.  I looked out the patio doors to see the snow starting to fall.  I took my spot near the fireplace.

The processional music began, and two-by-two, our friends came down the aisle.  The music changed, and Rory entered the room.  She looked more beautiful than ever.  The soft candlelight illuminated her and made her eyes dance.  I couldn't help the growing smile.  Her dad let her down the aisle, and then Luke took over.  He kissed her on the forehead, and left her with me.

Before I knew it, the ceremony was nearly over.  It was surreal to be standing there, in front of our closest friends and family, pledging our love to one another.  We shared a gentle kiss to close the rite.  I felt elated, and there was no hiding it.  Rory looked happier than I'd ever seen her.

We walked down the aisle, through the same doors she had come through a short time ago.  When we were out of sight, I turned to her and kissed her much more passionately.  Then I did my best Bogart.

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."