Chapter 26

Grandma had finished moving most of her things out of the house in Hartford about two weeks after we had talked and took care of the paperwork.  She couldn't fit everything into the much smaller house in Nantucket, so we were left with quite a few pieces of furniture.  That worked out in our favor because we didn't have nearly enough to fill this house.  Over the next month, we started packing up the apartment and redecorating in Hartford.

We stayed at the apartment until the main living areas and our bedroom had been done.  It took about six weeks.  I didn't think it would ever get done.  I had no idea where were so many decisions to make: carpets, drapes, lighting, furniture, paint, wall décor.  It was never ending!  It was a good thing I had Mom and Honor helping out.  The house looked so different from before.  By the time we were done with the downstairs, Mom hardly recognized the inside.

"Kid, this doesn't even remotely resemble the place where I grew up.  If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a completely different house!  Please let me be here to see my mother's face when she sees the redecorated house for the first time!" Mom said, pausing for a moment.  "I'm really glad you asked me to help out; it's been very cathartic."

"Grandma knows we were going to change things.  I guess it is very different than it was before.  I hadn't even thought of her reaction," I replied.  "I was hoping this would help you.  I'm sorry if I pushed a little too hard.  I just want you to be comfortable here when you come to visit us.  I assume you'll be here frequently once the next Gilmore girl arrives...."

"Of course, I will!  You won't be able to get rid of me I'll be here so much, and you should just let me decorate the bedroom I'm moving into after she arrives!  Or, maybe, Luke and I will just move into the pool house, a.k.a. your $40,000 sex house," she replied.

"I suppose you can have your old bedroom back...." I retorted.

"Well played," she replied, conceding.

"If you must know, we are planning on turning that room into Little Ace's room."

"Are you sure you want to tempt fate like that?  Guess you should just name her Lorelai, too!"

"I'll take the risk.  You won't recognize it when we're done decorating it," I replied.  "We haven't discussed names yet."

"No Lorelai IV?"

"I can't say for sure, but I'm leaning towards no.  I think that would really be tempting fate to give her your room and your name!" I said with a little laugh.

I was as big as a house when we finally moved to Hartford.  At first, it was strange being in here.  The house was much larger than the apartment Logan and I had been sharing, but it was starting to feel more and more like home with each passing day.  Grandpa's study proved to be a huge success for my writing.  I had written here a few other times, and very successfully.  I could feel him in the room, guiding me to success.  The writing felt so easy here.  It wasn't too dark and smelled like cigars.  The scent never seemed to fade.  It's not fresh, more like a couple days old.  I will admit it was a little creepy to see my portrait on a daily basis, but it didn't deter me.

"Ace, are you sure you don't want to move this portrait?"

"No, I want to leave everything as it is in here.  Grandma had it commissioned for him and the two of us had a special connection," I replied.

"I don't think Richard would have a problem with you moving the painting of you.  This is now your study, not his."

"If it gets too weird, we can move it, but for now, let's just leave it.  Somehow, it makes me feel a little closer to him," I replied, feeling the tears welling up.  Damn these pregnancy hormones!  They were just getting worse and worse.