Daryl, Rosita, Denise... Oh My!

Season: Six

Episode(s): Twice as Far

*Ryan's POV*

After the whole thing with Maggie and Carol, I realized something: We were gonna be okay. Nothing could drag us down. The Saviors were dead and the Hilltop was gonna give us the supplies we needed. 

In the meantime, Daryl, Rosita, Denise, and I were going on a run. 

I found that dork of a Dixon toying with his bike. I sat besides him and rubbed his thigh. 

"Didn't even notice," I smirked. "Got your bike back."

"Yeah," Daryl patted my hand. He held out a packet of cigarettes, "Wanna try?"

"Why not," I shrugged and took a cigarette. I lit it and inhaled. I coughed violently and went back for another puff. 

"Those people you met, the ones in the burnt forest, they took it from you?" I asked. 

"Yeah," Daryl nodded. 

"You saved them, right?" I asked. Daryl said nothing. "Sorry," I muttered. "It's who you are. We're still stuck with that."

"No, we ain't," Daryl said. "I should've killed them." Hold on, what? That didn't sound like Daryl at all. 

"Let's find Denise and Rosita and get movin'," I said. 

---

"After I got out of D.C., I just drove," Denise explained. "I remember seeing it right when I realized I had no idea where I was going. Edison's Apothecary and Boutique. It's just this little gift shop in a strip mall, but if it's really an apothecary, they had drugs."

"How do you know they still got 'em?" Daryl asked. 

"It isn't that far," Denise said. "I just want to check. And you, Rosita, and Ryan aren't out scavenging or pulling shifts."

"We'll go," I said. 

"I wanted to check," Denise stated. "I just wanted to help."

"How much time you spend out there?" Daryl asked. 

"None," Denise shifted her feet.

"Forget it," Daryl shook his head. 

"I can ID the meds," Denise added. "I know how to use a machete now. I've seen roamers up close. I'm ready."

"You good with this?" Daryl turned to Rosita. 

"No," she scoffed. 

"I'll go alone, if I have to," Denise threatened. 

"You'll die alone," I warned. 

"I'm asking you to make sure I don't," Denise said. Daryl looked at me. 

"I don't want her to get hurt," I shrugged. He turned to Rosita. 

"I'm not babysitting her by myself," Rosita shook her head rapidly.  Daryl sighed and agreed to go. We piled into an old car and started leaving. 

Daryl was having trouble with the stick shift.

"It-- the..." Denise mumbled.

"What?" Daryl asked. 

"Forget it," Denise shook her head. 

"No, what?" Daryl persisted. 

"I think maybe you're disengaging it too soon," Denise pointed at the stick. "I've been driving stick since I was fifteen, usually beat-up trucks like this. I mean, before-- you know, before I left home. My brother taught me, so I just know."