Jar of Hearts

Season: Seven

Episode(s): The Day Will Come When You Won't Be

*Ryan's POV*

Abraham. 

Negan's victim was Abraham. Strong, brave, amazing Abraham was about to get the life beaten out of it. A strangled cry left my throat. 

"Anybody moves, anybody says anything, cut the boy's other eye out and feed it to his father, and then we'll start," Negan's bat hovered over Abraham. I noticed him giving a peace sign to Sasha, who cried. 

"You can breathe," Negan continued. "You can blink. You can cry. Hell, you're all gonna be doing that." Negan wound up and brought Lucille down on Abraham. Rosita let out a shriek as Abraham doubled over. 

"Oh! Look at that!" Negan exclaimed as Abraham rose up again. "Taking it like a champ!" 

"Suck... my... nuts," Abraham hissed his last words as Negan whacked him again. He kept hitting him over and over again until Abraham's head was nothing but a pile of smashed-up brains. 

The sight was horrific. I found Maggie's hand and gripped it tightly. 

Merle was in absolute shock. It angered him to the point of madness to see a fellow soldier beaten down with such disrespect. 

"Did you hear that?" Negan asked. "He said, 'suck my nuts'. Phew." He cackled and hit Abraham a few more times for good measure. 

"Oh, my goodness!" Negan exclaimed. He was actually enjoying this. "Look at this." He swung Lucille and blood splattered over Rick's face. 

"You guys, look at my dirty girl!" he held out Lucille for all of us to see. He sauntered over to Rosita, who was sobbing hard. "Sweetheart... lay your eyes on this."

I noticed Daryl was getting more agitated by the minute. 

"Oh, damn," Negan retreated just a bit. "Were you-- were you together?" He gestured over to Abraham's remains. "That sucks. But if you were, you should know there was a reason for all this. Red-- and hell, he was, is, and will ever be red. He just took one or six or seven for the team! So take... a damn look. Take a damn look!"

That was the last straw for Daryl. He shot up and punched Negan across the face. 

"Daryl, no!" I shrieked as the Saviors pinned him down. 

"Get your damn hands off my brother!" Merle growled. 

"Daryl!" Rick exclaimed. 

"No!" Negan shouted. "Oh, no. That? Oh, my! That... is a no-no. The whole thing-- not one bit of that shit flies here."

Dwight approached Daryl, wearing his vest and brandishing his crossbow. He had it pointed at Daryl. 

"Do you want me to do it?" Dwight asked his boss. "Right here." Negan grabbed Daryl by the hair and forced him to look up. 

"No," Negan said. I relaxed just a bit. "No, you don't kill them... not until you try a little." Dwight grabbed Daryl and forced him back into the lineup. 

"And anyway... that's not how it works," Negan stood up. "Now, I already told you people-- first one's free, then-- what'd I say? I said I would shut that shit down! No exceptions. Now, I don't know what kind of lying assholes you've been dealing with... but I'm a man of my word. First impressions are important. I need you to know me. So... back to it."

Negan spun around and whacked Glenn with Lucille. 

"Glenn!" I screamed. Maggie let out a wail and fell against me. I gripped her tight as she stared at her husband getting mutilated.