Twenty One : Topsy Turvy

Riu’s POV

I placed my phone on top of the table and turned to Alexey who just stirred up and groaned.

When she flicks her eyes open, I gave her a smile. “Hi.”

She groaned and buried her face on my neck. “Let me sleep for five minutes more, please?”

“You have work. You’ll be late.” I picked a handful of her hair and comb it with my finger.

“Nah. Today’s my day off. One day absent in the office will not really hurt.” She said, grabbing the pillow on her back and cuddled with it.

“I need to prepare us a breakfast. My energy’s strained from last night, you know?”

“Just stay here for a while.”

“You can continue sleeping while I’m making breakfast in the kitchen, Alex.” I tried hauling myself from bed but, she won’t let me.

“Urgh.” She grunted. “Please, stay?” she pleaded.

How can I say no to my wife? “Okay.” I let her arm slide on my side on to my back and released a smile when she buried her face on my chest.

I missed her.

We still haven’t talked about everything but, I won’t spoil our morning by arguing with her. I still don’t know if we’re okay okay. She’s too drunk last night.

     I woke up from the noise coming from her bag. And I tapped Alex’s cheeks that’s resting on top of my arm to wake her up.

“Alex, your phone’s been ringing twice now. Pick it up. Maybe, it’s urgent.” I whispered.

“Just let it be.”

“No, I can’t go back to sleep when it’s ringing. Just pick it up, sweetheart.”

She frowned at me when she lifted her face up. “Fine.”

She grabbed her hand bag and pulled out the device. But, after staring it for quite a few seconds, her lips puckered and shut her phone off.

Who’s calling her? She just turned down the call.

She turned to me and smiled, not the smile she always had when she’s happy, I guess the person calling made her pissed.

But, really who’s the caller?

So, I voiced it  out, “Sino iyon?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know. Unregistered number eh. Alam mo naman I don’t take calls from unknown people.”

She’s lying.

I know cos’ she didn’t have to explain it further to me. Alam niyang alam ko na pinakayaw niya sa lahat iyong tatawagan siya at hindi niya kilala iyong tumatawag. If you liked her to pick the phone up, you have to text her first and introduce yourself before you started calling her.

Kaya alam kong nagsisinungaling siya. Pero, ayoko magsimula ng panibagong away kaya I let it slide. Kahit gusto kong itanong sa kanya kung bakit hindi niya sinagot iyong tawag.

May mga aayusin pa kami tungkol sa nangyari nitong mga huling lingo at ayoko ng dagdagan pa iyon.

And I’ll deal with that later.

“Let’s have ourselves a breakfast.” She pulled my arm to make me rise up from the bed but I didn’t budge. “I’m hungry.”

I let out laugh, “Sinabi ko naman kasi sa’yo kanina na magluluto na ako pero, hindi ka pumayag.”