Chapter 54: Partying While Partially Worrying

[Joey's POV]

I get a call from Luke while Sawyer and I were casually watching TV. He asked me if Sawyer and I could come to his party tomorrow night at 7.

Luke usually had random parties going on.

Sawyer and I agreed and we went to bed.

**Next Day**

I text Meghan to ask her if we were still on for hiking today. She says yes and I quickly get ready. Sawyer wakes up, confused as to why I'm leaving so early.

"I'm going to a hike with Meghan." I say, slipping on a comfortable pair of pants.

"Oooh, can I come?" He asks, hopping up from the bed in his boxers. I stare and he kisses me softly. Blushing, I nod and pretend I wasn't staring.

"Uh, yeah. I'm gonna ask Meghan."

I take my phone out in a quick motion and text Meghan, asking her if Sawyer could come. She replies seconds later saying yes.

"She said yes." I say. I look up from my phone and see that Sawyer is already in his hiking clothing. "Oh, woah." He smiles.

I place my phone in my pocket and we both rush downstairs. I quickly eat a plain bagel while Sawyer eats some oreos. I grab my keys, and leave with Sawyer.

**Hike Place**

"Meghansan!" I shout. She turns away from her car. Her face brightens and she speed-walks over to us.

"Joey!" She smiles and then looks at Sawyer. "Sawyer!" She points to the trail and we go ahead and walk along it.

I look at her hands, which are nervously around her water bottle. I wonder what's she's nervous about.

...

After a while, Meghan, Sawyer, and I get tired and we sit down near the edge. I realize that we aren't far from the car and I forgot my water bottle.

"I'll be right back." I say, getting up.

"We'll be here." Meghan says, playing with a rock.

[Sawyer's POV]

I watch as Joey walks back down the steep trail back to the car. I watch as the birds in the sky fly around.

"So, how's Joey?" Meghan asks, possibly trying to bring up a small conversation.

"It's..great, actually. Why'd you ask?" She's shrugs and sighs.

"Can I ask you a favor?" I nod. "Can I..kiss you?"

"Uh," I look at her. I sigh. "Why?"

"B-Because, uh. I kind of.. like you." She looks down and plays with her fingers.

"I can't kiss you, Meghan. I really can't. It'd kind of be considered cheating." She nods. No matter how guilty I feel, I can't even do it.

Cheerful as usual, Joey comes back holding his water bottle. We stand up and walk along the trail. Occasionally, I'd look at Meghan and her face seems upset and heartbroken. She looks at me while Joey is looking elsewhere and I mouth 'I'm sorry'.

"So, Meghan," Joey begins. "Are you going to Luke's party, tonight?"

Of course, Joey was completely oblivious to what had just happened. It was completely fine with me since I didn't want to discuss it.

"Yeah!" She says, acting excited.

Purposely, I get distracted while Joey and Meghan chat.

...