Protect Ourselves

Lucas POV
Zay was cleaning off the blood that was on my skin. He's such a good friend, sometimes I take advantage of that. It's hard to explain this feeling that I'm feeling. It's hard because I don't know if I'm even feeling anything. I was starring at the back of Steves head one second, and then it wasn't there anymore. His blood was warm. I look around and notice that Riley wasn't in here. I get up and start to head for the door when I get tackled down by Zay.
Zay - You are NOT going out there
Lucas - Get off of me.
Zay - No.
Lucas - Riley needs me
Zay - She's fine.
Lucas - No she's not! Why did she even go out there in the first place!?
Zay - She didn't say.
Lucas - Why didn't you stop her?!
Zay - You think I didn't try to?! You literally saw someone get there head blown off, I had to be here with you!
He was right. He knew he couldn't leave me after I saw what I saw. But still how can anyone in here let Riley go out there by herself? Zay gets off of me and we both position ourselves to sit down on the floor,
Lucas - What if she gets shot...
Zay - She won't.
Lucas - She's riley!
Zay - Exactly. Riley Mathews. She's clumsy but she's smart. She knows what she's doing. She knows how to protect herself.
Lucas - I was supposed to protect her.
Zay - Sometimes we need to protect ourselves in order to protect others.
He was right. But I just can't let her be out there alone with him. For god sakes he killed people in less than one minute. He could shoot her, she could be gone by now. She'd never get to see Maya, her parents, Auggie, Farkle, Shawn. She'd never get to graduate, go to college, get married. She'd never get to be a writer. I'd never see her again. I couldn't let that happen. I look at the closed door that's in front of me. I quickly get up, open the door, and close it behind me. I could hear Zay loud whisper to me. I look around in the hallway. I don't think I've ever heard it so quiet. There were books and backpacked scattered everywhere. And two bodies. I hear a door open, Zay comes out.
Zay - I should've seen that coming. Come on let's go back in
He says this whispering. He tries to pull my arm but I am stronger than him. I'm looking at the two bodies, he soon Zay is too.
Zay - Can you see who they are?
I shake my head no.
Lucas - Only one way to find out
I start to walk towards the bodies and Zay is trying to pull me back, but he can't. So he follows me.
Zay - When we get out of here, I'm un friending you.
We stop. Angie and Jackson. Instead of their faces being gone, it was there stomach. I don't know which was worse to see. Either way, no one should ever seen that.
Zay - This is why we need to go back into the classroom where it's safe.
Lucas - Safe? Someone got shot, in front of us. It could've easily been us, this place isn't safe.
I start to walk downstairs to the first floor, Zay follows me from behind.
Lucas - Id feel much better if you'd stand next to me.
Zay - Do you want me to hold your hand too?
Lucas - Will you?
Zay - This is no time for jokes.
He was right. I see someone move. Zay and I stand still. It was a girl with long dark brown hair. I couldn't tell if it was Riley or not because right when we got to the first floor, the person turned the corner.
Zay - Was that Riley?
Lucas - I'm not sure. Come on.
We start heading the same direction that we saw the girl going.